The Source

Monday December 6

X-rated hypnotist Frank Santos brings his raunchy live show to the Fine Arts Center Concert Hall tonight, at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $5 for UMass students and $10 general admission.

Tuesday December 7

Jazz Ensemble I, directed by Jeffrey Holmes, presents “Jazz For The Holidays ‘ Beyond” tonight, at 8 p.m. The program is set to include Duke Ellington’s Nutcracker Suite and Twelve Days Of Christmas, Rob McConnell’s Winter In Winnipeg, a new arrangement of Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, and original pieces by grad students Steve Kirby and Woo-Young Soon. Jon Bean (saxophone), Lena Bloch (saxophone), Joe Mayo (saxophone), Brian Raymond (piano), Jared Burrell (trumpet) and Scott Daugherty (trumpet) will contribute solos. Bowker Auditorium is the place to be; tickets are $5 (students, seniors and children) and $10 (public).

Wednesday) December 8

Famed architect and Harvard professor Rem Koolhaas is set to speak at Amherst College’s Stirn Auditorium today at 4:30 p.m. A reception follows at the Mead Art Museum; this event is free and open to the public.

Thursday December 9

Local artist Guillermo Cuellar’s new portrait of Emily Dickinson goes on display today, at 5 p.m. at the Jones Library in Amherst, on 43 Amity St. The exhibits runs through February 10.

Thursday December 9

Come watch as The Maori Dance Theater of New Zealand takes the audience on a colorful and exciting journey through the islands of Polynesia, including visits to Tahiti, Hawaii, Samoa, the Cook Islands and ending in Aotearoa, New Zealand with Kahurangi: People of the Pacific tonight at Bowker Auditorium at UMass. Show starts at 10 a.m. and tickets are $5 and $7. For more information call (413) 577-2486

Friday December 10

Funky Bostonians Addison Groove Project returns to Pearl Street tonight with instructions to rock Northampton. And, if their past performances at the club are any indication, tonight’s event should be one to remember; AGP brought the house down last semester when their Pearl Street appearance fell on keyboardist Rob Marscher’s birthday and they kicked out some fun new covers.

And what’s on the menu tonight? That’s hard to say, but it should include two saxophones, swirling organ runs, breakbeat drums, jazz guitar licks and catchy vocals. But you’ll find that out for yourself; NBFB kicks things off at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $11 in advance, and $14 at the door.

Friday December 10

The recital of Jewish music is one of the Isaac Babel Festival events, a three-day festival hosted on the Amherst College, Smith College, and UMass Amherst campuses in conjunction with the Smith College Theatre Department’s December 8-12, 2004 staging of Isaac Babel’s Marya, directed by Veniamin Smekhov. Show takes place at the UMass Amherst’s Benzanon recital hall from 4:30-5:30pm. This event is free and open to the public.

Weekly Pinup

(Thursday) The Fine Arts Center’s fall “Solos ‘ Duos” series concludes tonight with William Parker and Hamid Drake, at 8 p.m. Drake (drums) did time with jazz legends Don Cherry and Pharaoh Sanders; Parker (bass) fleshed out Cecil Taylor’s low-end for more than ten years. These cats are serious; don’t miss out. Tickets are $5 (students) and $10 (public). HIGHLIGHT?