UMass student is recipient of prestigious Goldwater award

Heather A. Harrington, a junior at the University of Massachusetts is the recipient of the prestigious Goldwater Scholarship, which is awarded to students in the math and science fields who have demonstrated high academic achievement.

The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship was established in honor of Senator Barry M. Goldwater who was both a Senator and a solider, and is awarded to no more than 300 students across the country each year. According to the programs Web site, the purpose of the scholarship is to create more highly skilled mathematicians, scientists, and engineers. Harrington as well as two other students were nominated from UMass. Harrington is the fifth UMass student to win the Goldwater Scholarship.

A native of Concord, MA, Harrington is an Applied Mathematics major with a minor in philosophy. She has a great interest in mathematical biology, something that she hopes to make a career out of one day.

Harrington would like to continue on in academia to obtain her PhD and become a professor. She is currently a teaching assistant, which she says has only increased her interest in teaching. “It’s rewarding to know that I can share something I am good with others,” said Harrington, “I think that is why all professors teach.”

A member of the Commonwealth College and of the Women’s Varsity Crew team Harrington stays very busy with her classes and her research. Harrington, as well as a few other undergraduates, have recently completed research on developing a mathematical model for how chemical inhibitors prevent the growth of tumors in the cornea.

“[The scholarship] is really great because it means that other people believe in me and want to support me in what I am interested in.” explained Harrington.

The two advisors of the research team, Professor Nathaniel Whitaker and Professor Panayotis Kevrekidis, were both very proud of her. “They both did a lot as they guided us each step of the way,” said Harrington.

“She’s the perfect person to get this type pf scholarship,” said Whitaker, “I think she’s going make UMass proud.”

Another advisor who was instrumental in Harrington’s success was Professor Susan Whitbourne, the director of the Office of National Scholarship Advancement (ONSA). Professor Whitbourne worked with Harrington throughout the application process and Professor Whitbourne was also with Harrington when she found out she had won, which was an exciting moment for both.

“The Goldwater Scholarship is a tribute to Heather’s hard work and her research efforts. Applications for these highly competitive awards are evaluated as scientific grant proposals and must be on the cutting edge,” explained Whitbourne, “Heather did an exceptional job throughout the tough vetting process.”

Professor Whitaker noted that “It’s very, very rare for an undergraduate to pursue research opportunities with such enthusiasm” as Harrington. In addition to her research at UMass Harrington also studied at the Park City Mathematics Institute in Utah last year. This summer she has been selected to study at the Mathematics and Theoretical Biology Institute at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

Harrington however does not spend all her time in classrooms and laboratories. She is a very active member of the Amherst community in which she has participated in many volunteer activities including the Make-A-Wish foundation and Shelter Sunday. She also volunteers at local nursing homes and for food, clothing, and toy drives.

As a member of the UMass Woman’s Crew Team, which won their tenth consecutive Atlantic 10 Conference Championship on Saturday, Harrington has practice two times a day and races on the weekends which keeps her very busy.

In addition to all this Harrington also some how finds time to be a member of the Northampton Bridge Club, the Math Club, the Biological Sciences Club, play intramural softball, and still maintains a high GPA.

‘I don’t think most undergrads have had the opportunities I’ve had,” said Harrington, “I’m rowing with an Olympic coach…conducting research and I’m an undergraduate grader for a calculus class. I really appreciate all of the support I’ve received from my professors and ONSA.”