Skin cancer rate for young females

Daily Trojan (USC)

(U-WIRE) LOS ANGELES – The incidence of skin cancer among females under 40 has tripled, according to a study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

The rate of basal cell and squamous cell cancers rose to 32 cases per 100,000 women under the age of 40 in 2003, up from 13 cases per 100,000 in the late 1970s, according to the study.

Dr. David Peng, visiting associate professor of clinical dermatology at the USC Keck School of Medicine, said that he has also seen an increase in patients with these kinds of cancers.

“What is fairly frightening is that I’m finding an increasing number of patients who are in their late teens and early 20s who are developing melanomas and other kinds of skin cancers. The patients that I have seen have without exception reported use of tanning beds or regular sun bathing,” he said.

These kinds of cancers are associated with excessive exposure to sunlight and are often found in people who sunbathe, Peng said.

He said that there are other alternatives to sunbathing, such as sunless tanning products.

He said that there have been problems with these products in the past, such as streaking. The newer preparations have dealt with these issues, such as a product called Mystic Tan, a self-spray solution that allows an evenly distributed tan to develop over the process of a few days.

“Of course our main goal is to help patients understand that looking dark and crisp is not, in fact, very attractive. But that of course involves a broader public campaign,” he said.

“Dermatologists are not saying to avoid the sun altogether. We do want people to lead active lifestyles,” he added.

Peng said that he recommends reading the active ingredients in sunscreens and sunblocks, along with using sunscreen of at least SPF 30.

He said that the ingredients titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, which are found in sunscreens, tend to be better tolerated and act as physical barriers against UV rays.

“Often times, people just look at the SPF rating. What people don’t realize is that the active ingredients are also important in determining if the product protects you from the sun,” he said.

Peng said that he believes a reason there is a higher incidence of skin cancer is that dermatologists are failing in their efforts to educate the public regarding the dangers of sun exposure. He said that particularly in Los Angeles, where there are people of a variety of racial and ethnic backgrounds, there is a need for more public awareness about this issue.

“Rates of skin cancer are increasing in the population as a whole – not only in people with fair skin,” he said.

Alexandra Gazzaniga, a graduate student in professional writing, said that although she loves being in the sun and going outside, she tries to be cautious about sun exposure.

“I do go to the beach but don’t actively get a sun tan. I try to avoid the 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. hours,” she said.

Gazzaniga said that she has been to the dermatologist before about skin problems and she is especially cautious now that she is older.

“I just try to be careful. It was my experience when I was 18 or 19 when I had a scare. I think I had some damage when I was younger,” she said.

Gazzaniga said that she believes people know about the dangers of tanning salons, but that they get mixed messages.

“There are so many images of the young, tan, and beautiful. It’s just like smoking. People think they are invincible when they are young,” she said.

Priscilla Brambila, a graduate student in marriage and family therapy, said that she agrees the standard of beauty has remained the same.

“As time has progressed, people are wanting to tan more. It seems like everyone has fake tans,” she said.