Say Hellogoodbye to puppy dog love with ‘Zombies!’

This summer saw the release of Hellogoodbye’s first full length album, “Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!” It is made up of songs that were released on their MySpace.com Web site. Hellogoodbye, fronted by mastermind Forrest Kline, delivers an album full of puppy dog love songs with delightful keyboard beats and rhyming lyrics.

The songs are about as preteen as one can get. For example, “Touchdown, Turnaround (Don’t Give Up On Me),” compares the intensity of love to pee-wee baseball. Songs like “Here (In My Arms),” “Oh It’s Love,” and “I Saw It On Your Keyboard” border on cheesy, but don’t cross the line. There is even an idolization song on the album. “I Saw It On Your Keyboard” goes, “Then I saw it on your keyboard/ And you saw it on my sleeve/ I never knew a heart existed/ Outside of make believe.” According to their Web site, this song is actually a shout out to Ozma keyboardist, Star Wick. The large amount of influence of Wick’s style of keyboard playing exerted upon Hellogoodbye is definitely apparent on this track.

The album shows more musical restraint than their self titled EP. It is slightly more mature, but still maintains a playful tone. The integration of the keyboards points to influence of Koufax’s album “It Had to Do with Love,” the musical style of the band Ozma, as well as 80’s new wave pop songs. The artwork is much like that of a coloring book.

As a whole the album is about as delectable as humanly possible and makes the listener yearn for younger days. The band has grown up a little bit without getting old. They’ve gotten smart without losing wit and charm. This album reflects the nostalgic urgency for the days of yore. That feeling is something we can all relate to.