Bonnies lock up Atlantic 10

With one week left in conference play for Atlantic 10 women’s lacrosse, St. Bonaventure leads the league, followed by Richmond in second and George Washington in third.

St. Bonaventure secures spot in A-10 Tournament

The Bonnies clinched a position in next month’s A-10 Tournament after coming from behind for the victory last Sunday against Massachusetts. St. Bonaventure is now 5-0 in conference play, and 8-4 overall on the season. It has won each of its last seven games.

In last Sunday’s game, the Bonnies led UMass 15-9 in draw controls and held a 31-26 shot advantage. Junior Brenna Houghton finished with a team-high five points, on three goals and two assists.

Junior Kimberly Ross and sophomore Katelyn Faas each recorded hat tricks in the game. Faas became the sixth player in program history to score 100 career goals, accomplishing the feat in just 29 games. Junior Eboni Preston had 10 saves to bring her double-digit save streak to seven. Junior Stephanie Jordan had two goals and a career-high four draw controls.

St. Bonaventure will finish its A-10 regular season next weekend, with games on the road against Richmond and George Washington.

Richmond holds second-place position in A-10

The Spiders beat La Salle 17-5 on Sunday afternoon. This allowed Richmond to stay in its second-place position in A-10 conference play.

Sisters Mandy and Ashley Friend both had hat tricks in the first half of the game, helping the Spiders to finish the half with an 11-0 lead. It was Mandy Friend’s ninth hat trick and Ashley’s fourth.

Richmond led La Salle with advantages in draw controls (14-8), groundballs (5-3) and shots (33-16). This helped the Spiders to their second straight conference win.

Richmond will finish its regular season with two home games this weekend against St. Bonaventure on Friday and Duquesne on Sunday.

George Washington is 3-1 in the A-10

The Colonials currently hold the third position in the A-10 with a 3-1 record. This past weekend GW took on Saint Joseph’s and almost shut them out with a score of 9-1 – the Hawks didn’t score for the first 55 minutes of the game.

Junior goalie Caitlin Garman finished the game with 10 saves and one goal allowed, which was the fewest goals ever allowed in a single/-game in program history.

GW finished above St. Joe’s in shots (25-17), ground balls (12-11) and draw controls (9-3) to help them come out victorious.

The Colonials take on Duquesne on Friday. If GW can win its next game, it will clinch a spot in the A-10 Tournament.

Katelyn Faas named A-10 Player of the Week

St. Bonaventure sophomore attack Katelyn Faas was named A-10 Player of the Week. During a week of three wins for St. Bonaventure, Faas scored 13 goals and had two assists. In the April 17 match against Binghamton, Faas registered a season-high nine points, scoring seven goals and adding two assists.

On April 20, Faas helped the Bonnies beat Temple for the first time ever (they were 0-9 previously), notching her seventh hat trick of the season. Faas scored her 100th career goal against Massachusetts on April 22. She was the sixth player to do so in program history. So far in A-10 play, Faas has scored 21 goals in five games – helping the Bonnies to a perfect conference record.

Taylor Donohue is A-10 Rookie of the Week

George Washington’s Taylor Donohue was named A-10 Rookie of the Week. On April 22, Donohue set a career high with four goals, leading the Colonials to a 9-1 win over the Hawks. Donohue leads all GW rookies and is tied for fourth on the team for goals at 15. Donohue is also tied for first in the league with three game-winning goals.

Melissa Turtinen can be reached at [email protected].