A-10 Tourney time arrives: Top-seeded Richmond looks for third conference crown

By Melissa Turtinen, Collegian Staff

The Atlantic 10 women’s lacrosse conference season is over and the A-10 Championships are upon us. Richmond, George Washington, St. Bonaventure and Temple will be competing in the A-10 Championships this weekend.

The tournament will be held at Temple University. The semifinal games will be played on Friday, May 4 and the championship game on Sunday, May 6.

The top four teams from regular-season play will be competing in the tournament. Top-ranked Richmond will take on No.4 Temple on Friday at 1 p.m. No. 2 George Washington will play No.3 St. Bonaventure at 3:30 p.m.

The winners of the semifinal game will compete in the championship game on Sunday at 3 p.m. The game will be nationally televised on CSTV. This is the first time in league history where a women’s lacrosse conference championship game will be televised.

The winner of the A-10 Championship will have a guaranteed spot in the NCAA Division 1 Women’s Lacrosse Tournament. The NCAA Tournament will be held at The University of Pennsylvania on Friday, May 25 and Sunday, May 27.

Top-Seed Richmond is the two-time defending A-10 champion. The Spiders finished the regular season tied with George Washington at 6-1 in league play, but were able to defeat GW, 10-7, during the regular season to capture first in the league. Richmond is 12-5 overall this season.

Spider’s senior midfielder Ashley Friend was named player of the week after an impressive nine-goal and four assist week for Richmond. Mandy Friend, Ashley’s sister, will try to advance the Spiders into the championship round of the tournament. Sophomore All-American Mandy Friend scored her 100th-career goal against St. Bonaventure last Saturday.

George Washington earned its first-ever regular-season title after tying Richmond in the regular-season standings at 6-1. The Colonials were 10-6 overall this season. GW enters the tournament for the first time since 2005, where they were second overall.

GW is looking to Junior Kristin Karcsh once again to help the Colonials advance to the second round in the tournament. Karcsh scored five goals in the second half of GW’s game against St. Bonaventure in their come-from-behind 12-11 win – clinching their first A-10 regular-season title, which is shared with Richmond.

St. Bonaventure is returning for the second straight year to the A-10 Tournament. The Bonnies are 5-2 in conference play and 8-6 overall.

St. Bonaventure took on GW last Sunday with the A-10 regular-season title on the line. The Bonnies failed to defeat the Colonials. On Friday they have a chance for a re-match in the semifinal game.

Temple is ranked fourth with a 4-3 conference record and are 6-10 overall. Temple has won four straight A-10 Championship titles from 2001-2004 and have made an appearance in every championship since the postseason tournament began in 1999. Temple beat Richmond this season, 9-8, for the first win against the Spiders since the 2004 season – and it will take them on again in Friday’s semifinal game.

Temple looks to Allison Frengs, one of the Owl’s top scorers for help in the Richmond game. When Temple took on Saint Joseph’s earlier this season, Frengs scored four goals, but it wasn’t enough in its 11-8 loss.Melissa Turtinen can be reached at [email protected]