Dark Star Orchestra delights deadheads

Tomorrow night at 8:30 p.m. a Grateful Dead tribute band, Dark Star Orchestra, will perform at the Pearl Street Ballroom in Northampton, Mass.

One of the more remarkable things that keep fans coming back to Dark Star shows is their recreation of the Grateful Dead’s original set list arrangements. In addition to their attention to historic detail, the band has a knack for imitation.

DSO co-founder, lead guitarist and vocalist, John Kadlecik has a voice that bears an uncannily resemblance to that of the late Grateful Dead legend, Jerry Garcia. The other members that make up the group are; harmonic vocalist Lisa Mackey, drummers Dino English and Rob Kortiz, bassist and co-founder Kevin Rosen and guitarist Rob Eaton.

Any Grateful Dead fan lucky enough to be present at their 1960s shows is likely to experience deja vu at tomorrow night’s venue. DSO’s performance captures, with as much accuracy as any musicians could pull off, the nostalgic spirit of The Dead’s musical presence.

Kaclecik first stumbled onto the idea of performing complete Grateful Dead shows in the early 90s, after thumbing through the 1990 edition of “DeadBase,” John Scott’s compendium of Grateful Dead shows. However, because the idea failed to capture the interest of fellow musicians, Kadlecik’s idea wasn’t put into motion until 1997. Having shelved the idea, Kadlecki continued to bounce around the music scene.

“I was able to talk the band I was in at the time, Hairball Willie, into playing an entire second set as a contest,” said Kadlecik, “