Owls begin season strong

The second week of Atlantic 10 field hockey is coming to an end with LaSalle, Massachusetts and Rhode Island at the top of the leaderboard.

LaSalle

LaSalle is 3-2 in non-conference play. The Explorers lost to Drexel on Aug. 29 in overtime with a final score of 3-2. LaSalle also lost to Hofstra 3-2 in a double-overtime on September 1. The win came with help from Kara Harpel who scored two goals and an assist.

During the Hofstra Invitational LaSalle was able to boost its record after the 4-2 win against Sacred Heart on September 2.

Rhode Island

Rhode Island opened its season on September 1 with a 2-1 win against Sacred Heart. Rhode Island then traveled to the Pride Invitational on September 2 where they beat Hofstra 1-0, although they were out-shot by Hofstra 11-10. Rhode Island won the tournament.

On September 7 Rhode Island will compete against St. Francis for its home opener.

Richmond

Richmond started its season off with a 4-3 loss against eighth-ranked Virginia on August 30. Richmond had a second loss on September 1 against Delaware with a score of 1-0. That was the second-straight one-goal loss for the Spiders.

The Spiders will travel to Virginia Commonwealth on Friday night.

Saint Joseph’s

Saint Joseph’s is 1-2 in non-conference play. The Hawks started out the season with a double-overtime loss against Hofstra on August 29. The final score of the game was 2-1. Their second loss came on September 1 against Fairfield with a score of 1-0.

Saint Louis

Saint Louis started out the season with a 1-0 victory over Missouri State on August 28. Their season went downhill from there with four consecutive losses – two of which were against No. 13 Ohio State and No. 15 Indiana.

Saint Louis will host No. 7 ranked Michigan State on September 9 for their third-straight game against a nationally-ranked Big Ten school.

Temple

Temple is 3-1 on the season with its only loss against Michigan on August 30. On September 1 the Owls beat Penn 4-2. In the Temple Invitational on September 2, Temple defeated Lock Haven 3-2 in overtime.

On Friday Temple will travel to Albany.

West Chester

West Chester started the season with two wins, one against Rider on August 29 and the other against Lehigh on September 2. West Chester’s non-conference record is 2-1 so far this season.

West Chester will host Monmouth on Saturday for an afternoon game.

Player of the Week

West Chester senior forward Sara Conrad was named this week’s Atlantic 10 Co-Player of the Week. Conrad’s skill helped West Chester to its first winning streak since 2005. Conrad had her first-career hat trick in the 3-2 win against Lehigh last Sunday.

Rookie of the Week

LaSalle freshman forward Beth Carey was named A-10 Rookie of the Week for the second-straight time. She scored a goal and an assist in the last three games for LaSalle.

Melissa Turtinen can be reached at [email protected].