UMPD still on lookout for campus burglary suspect

A string of burglaries in three campus buildings across the University of Massachusetts last week has yet to be solved by the police.

The University of Massachusetts Police Department is currently conducting an investigation for the case, which involved the theft of several handbags and wallets from Arnold House, Goodell Hall, and the Isenberg School of Management on Tuesday, Sept. 5 and Wednesday, Sept. 6.

All three of the burglaries were committed during daytime hours.

The suspect police are looking for is described as a white male, approximately 5 feet 9 inches tall, scruffy in appearance, wearing a windbreaker, baseball hat and blue jeans – a typical college student.

UMPD Deputy Chief Patrick Archbald said the case has yet to be broken. With no video footage or suspects, the investigation appears to have stagnated. He did, however, say these acts are similar in timing to weekend larcenies in Machmer Hall, the Student Union, and the Whitmore Administration Building Cafe.

Late Friday afternoon the UMPD sent out a public safety alert warning the campus of the crimes and encouraging anyone who had seen any suspicious activity on campus to contact University police.

The UMPD Detective Bureau also recommended that students and faculty secure all personal belongings while on campus, including cabling computers and laptops to furniture, and advised faculty and students to lock up all unoccupied offices or rooms.

Anyone with information regarding the burglaries is encouraged to contact the UMPD Detective Bureau at 413-545-0893.

Will McGuinness can be reached at [email protected].