BC football player charged with rape

A Boston College defensive lineman was arraigned on Tuesday in Brighton Municipal Court on rape charges stemming from an incident early Saturday morning.

According to assistant Suffolk district attorney Megan O’Rourke, Brady Smith, 20, allegedly entered the victim’s apartment through an unlocked sliding door. He first entered the victim’s roommate’s and his former girlfriend’s room, but left upon seeing her brother in the room. He then allegedly proceeded to the second room and sexually assaulted the victim. According to a written statement given to BC police, the victim woke up “to someone standing over [her] in inappropriate ways.”

“Once I was able to come to/wake up, I noticed that it was Brady Smith and I realized that his hand was down my pants,” she wrote in the statement.

The victim shouted at Smith and her roommate called the police, who arrested Smith shortly after in a BC parking lot. He was allegedly intoxicated.

Smith is due back in court May 19 for a probable cause hearing, and is currently facing a $50,000 cash bail. He was ordered to stay away from Boston College and the accuser if he does post bail. BC spokesperson Jack Dunn stated that Smith had been suspended from the school pending the decision and has been indefinitely suspended from the football team.

Smith, of Finksburg, Md., was a three-sport star athlete in high school, talented in lacrosse and wrestling as well as football. He hoped to play professional football and planned to spend at least three years playing in college before declaring for the NFL draft.

Smith is not the first member of the 2007 Eagles to face trouble with the law. Offensive lineman Gosder Cherilus and defensive back DeJuan Tribble were charged with two counts of assault last July after a brawl in a Boston bar. Due in court in June, both are expected to be selected in this weekend’s NFL draft.