BC wins National Championship

The Cinderella run for Boston College’s freshman net minder, John Muse, is complete, and it couldn’t have ended any better.

Muse, who played in every minute of every game in net for the Eagles (only goaltender in the country to play every game), only made one mistake in Saturday’s Frozen Four Championship game against Notre Dame, in which his team came out on top 4-1.

Twenty-four hours before Saturday’s game, BC winger Nathan Gerbe missed out on the hockey equivalent of the Heisman Trophy, the Hobey Baker award, to Michigan superstar Kevin Porter; but he didn’t let it get to him. Gerbe scored twice and tallied two assists in his third NCAA Championship game. In the previous two years, BC reached the title game only to be ousted by Wisconsin and Michigan State.

The Fighting Irish had never reached the championship game before Saturday.

It was BC’s first win against the Irish in five tries since 2001. Three of those times the Eagles were ranked No. 1.

Unfortunately for the Irish, the Eagles had too much experience and too much Gerbe and Muse, which prevented them from pulling off the upset.

About five minutes into the final period, ND thought it had pulled within one at 3-2, but the goal was erased. The officials saw Kyle Lawson move his skates to form a “V,” where the puck bounced off both skates and into the BC goal before he could get a stick on it.

Notre Dame’s misfortune was much more costly minutes later when Gerbe fed a pass to a wide-open Ben Smith, who beat ND goaltender Jordan Pearce to make it 4-1.

BC won easily despite committing eight penalties and losing defenseman Carl Sneep to an injury in the first period.

Gerbe was named the Most Outstanding Player of the Frozen Four. He tallied five goals and three assists. He led the nation in points with 68, 35 of which came on goals. Gerbe was also the first player since Dave Silk of Boston University in 1977 to score five goals in a Frozen Four.

Boston College will be honored tonight at the Boston Bruins Stanley Cup Quarterfinals game. A banner has been lifted in the TD Banknorth Garden to honor the championship team.

The Eagles have won championships in 2001 and 1949.

All-American teams named

On Friday night the Hockey East Association elected eight student-athletes to the 2008 Reebok All-American First Team and Second Teams.

New Hampshire’s Kevin Regan, who recently signed an amateur tryout contract with the Providence Bruins, was named to the first team and posted a 2.21 goals-against average and a .930 save percentage. Regan, a Hobey Baker finalist, was awarded the Walter Brown award, which is given to the top American-born hockey player in New England.

Matt Gilroy, a junior blueliner from Boston University tallied an impressive plus-17 rating and 21 points (six goals, 15 assists) this season.

Gerbe’s 68 points and performance in the Frozen Four also earned him the first-team honor.

Another UNH Wildcat, Mike Rajda, was a New England All-Star and led his team with 19 goals, which included six game-winning goals.

Bryan Ewing, Brad Flaishans, Matt Fornataro and Pete MacArthur were named to the Second All-American team.

Ryan Fleming can be reached at [email protected].