Key draw control sets up senior’s gamewinner

Kathleen Typadis scored the game-tying and game-winning goals in the Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team’s 10-9 win over Richmond in Friday’s Atlantic 10 Semifinals.

Typadis’ goal came at the end of an extended possession for the Minutewomen; a possession that began when freshman Vicki Farrell controlled her first draw of the game to start the second half of overtime.

Farrell won the most critical draw in the game. She controlled the ball leading to Kathleen Typadis scoring the game winning goal to advance the Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team to the Atlantic 10 Championship game.

UMass led in draw controls, 16-7. The Minutewomen have been successful with draw controls for most of their season averaging 12.56 a game, the second highest in the A-10 behind the Spiders, 13.76.

“We’ve been doing a great job on draws. Kelsey Schriener is doing the draw and doing great and we’ve got great people on the circle,” UMass coach Alexis Venechanos said. “We’re pretty smart. They kept on trying to change things up and [Schriener] was reading it well. We just fought hard and tough.”

As the game progressed winning each faceoff became more critical. Winning the draw control gives that team the initial advantage and allows it to control play. The Minutewomen were successful on their draws although they had trouble controlling play for most of the game.

Schriener and Typadis led the team in draw controls with four. In the first half UMass controlled nine of the 13 draws, but were losing, 8-4. In the second half UMass scored five goals to Richmond’s one and led in draw controls 4-3.

The short amount of time in overtime made winning the draw and controlling the ball even more critical. Overtime was six minutes long and divided into two three-minute periods.

Winning the first faceoff in overtime was crucial. UMass won the draw and controlled play for the entire period, ending the first session of overtime still tied with the three-time reigning A-10 Champions.

After the first three minutes the teams switched sides to play the remainder of the period. The Minutewomen won the faceoff and controlled play for over one minute when Typadis scored the winning goal, her fourth of the game.

UMass controlled the final draw of the game not allowing Richmond a chance at a goal until the last 38 seconds of play.

Melissa Turtinen can be reached at [email protected].