Women’s Lacrosse: Minutewomen sweep Philly

By Melissa Turtinen, Collegian Staff

This past weekend was the first time this season that the Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team won two consecutive games. The wins moved the Minutewomen into third place in the Atlantic 10.

The Minutewomen beat La Salle on Sunday afternoon, 20-11, and Saint Joseph’s on Friday 9-8.

“We came into this weekend wanting to come out with two wins,” UMass coach Alexis Venechanos said. “We took it one game at a time. I think it was important for us to stay focused.”

With the two wins, UMass is 5-9 overall, 3-2 in the A-10 as the final weekend approaches. The top four teams in the conference will move on to the A-10 Tournament on April 25-27 at UMass.

Freshman Kelsey Schriener led the team with a career-high four goals, four draw controls, one groundball and one caused turnover. Three of her four goals were scored in the second half, including the last goal of the game.

“I’m really happy with Schriener. She had a career game,” Venechanos said. “She did great with draw controls and getting shots.”

UMass scored three straight goals to start the game against La Salle; and 12 minutes into the game, UMass was up 6-1. With five minutes, 25 seconds left in the first half freshman Jackie Lyons and junior Kaytlin McCormick scored a goal each six seconds apart.

In the second half with 21:59 left to play, the score was 10-7, but the Minutewomen scored five straight goals and secured their win.

“We had a lot of goals and transitions. That’s from us having confidence with each other. We are really trusting each other,” Venechanos said. “I’m happy with how we’re competing in between the [30-yard lines]. After we got the ball out of our end defensively, we were able to push it. That will help us move forward [for the rest of the season].”

The Minutewomen dominated the game. UMass had 36 shots to La Salle’s 21 and had 19 draw controls. They also had 11 athletes score goals.

On Friday in the 9-8 win against SJU, McCormick and senior Kathleen Typadis both scored hat tricks. Typadis’ three goals marked the third time in her career when she has scored a hat trick in four consecutive games.

“On Friday, it was a back-and-forth game. We kept our composure. We were able to keep the lead and keep attacking,” Venechanos said. “It was a combination of defense keeping us in the game and the offense shooting well.”

The game was tied, 3-3, with 13:35 left in the first half after McCormick scored a goal on a free-position shot. SJU scored the next two goals to take a 5-3 lead over UMass before McCormick answered back with her second goal of the game.

At the start of the second half, the Minutewomen scored three consecutive goals by McCormick, Typadis and sophomore Stephanie Hopkins, which gave them their first lead of the game with 19:07 left to play. SJU scored to tie the game, 8-8, and then Typadis scored her third goal of the game with 9:26 left.

With 5:35 left in the game, SJU scored, but the referee called the goal back because the pocket of senior Lindsey- Kate McCool’s stick was illegal. UMass took control of the ball running time off the clock when SJU caused a turnover and carried the ball down the field. With 39 seconds left in the game, senior Jeannette Villapiano forced a turnover to secure the Minutewomen’s win.

“We shot extremely well. We didn’t take too many; but with the shots we took, we were able to put some goals away,” Venechanos said. “In the past, 20 shots didn’t give us a win. I’m impressed with our shooting percentage.”

SJU outshot UMass, 31-20; but with redshirt junior Krissy Anderson in goal, she kept the Minutewomen in the game with a season-high 12 saves. Anderson’s start was her first in nine games.

“Anderson has been playing well in practice and has been consistent. I’m very confident in both goalies this season. In the first half of the St. Joe’s game, she kept us in the game,” Venechanos said. “She was making athletic saves and allowed the defense to take more chances.”

Melissa Turtinen can be reached at [email protected]