Kellogg staff almost complete

By Eli Rosenswaike, Collegian Staff

Brian Tedder/Collegian

Newly hired men’s basketball coach Derek Kellogg kicked off the new season yesterday by announcing four members of his coaching staff.

Three of the coaches – Vance Walberg, Andy Allison and Shyrone Chatman – are new to UMass, while Adam Ginsburg will be returning for his fourth year as assistant coach.

Vance Walberg, the former Pepperdine head coach and creator of the “dribble-drive motion” offense that Kellogg is instituting for the upcoming season, will be joining Ginsburg as assistant coach.

Also joining the staff are Andy Allison as director of basketball operations and Shyrone Chatman as director of player personnel. Both were on the staff at the University of Memphis under former UMass coach John Calipari.

Kellogg is still searching for one more assistant, but is excited about the makeup of the group he has now.

“Adam is a very articulate, hard-working young coach, who I see as having a great future in the profession,” Kellogg said. “In the short period I’ve been here, we have become very good friends and very compatible in the work environment. I love the relationships he has with his players and his tenacity in terms of recruiting.

“He just has a special way about him, which makes you want to have him around and be a part of your family.”

Although only made official yesterday, Walberg was rumored to be on Kellogg’s staff for weeks. Kellogg is looking forward to having Walberg’s past head-coaching experience and innovative basketball mind on the staff next year.

“Vance brings an unbelievable knowledge for the game of basketball. He has tremendous enthusiasm, intensity and passion for what we are trying to do here at UMass in growing the basketball program,” Kellogg said.

“He is part of the reason why my career is where it is with us implementing his style of play and offense at Memphis.”

New players on board?

With Ginsburg officially on staff, it appears that star recruit David Gibbs will keep his commitment to UMass. Once former coach Travis Ford left for Oklahoma State, Gibbs was uncertain where he wanted to play next season. But his strong relationship with Ginsburg, who had a hand in recruiting him to UMass, has apparently made up his mind.

Former University of Connecticut guard Doug Wiggins and Oregon State forward Sean Carter could also be candidates for Kellogg’s roster. They were both on campus this weekend, receiving a tour.

Eli Rosenswaike can be reached at [email protected]