Hockey: Mass Attack skates to tie in Durham

DURHAM, N.H. – A power-play goal, a short-handed goal, 11 penalties and 71 shots were all crunched into Friday night’s 1-1 tie between No. 4 New Hampshire and the Massachusetts hockey team.

Both teams had their chances and both coaches agreed; they’re happy they escaped the game with a point.

“There were points in the game where we were in control,” UMass coach Don Cahoon said. “And there were other points where we were hanging on for dear life.

“You know, you’re always disappointed because you always play to win,” Cahoon added. “But with games like that you can walk away from it saying both teams left it on the ice.”

Special teams and goaltending were the stories of the game. The UMass penalty-killing unit held the Wildcats (3-0-1, 1-0-1 Hockey East) to eight shots on five power plays. Dating back to UMass’ last game, it has killed its last eight power plays.

Brett Watson, who is featured on UMass’s first penalty-killing line, won 15-of-20 on face-offs, giving the Minutemen (2-1-1, 0-0-1 Hockey East) a chance to secure the puck, waste time and then clear it down the ice.

UNH goaltender Brian Foster (39 saves) and his opposite Dan Meyers (32 saves) were the first and second stars of the game, respectively.

Both net minders made saves when pressure was mounting in their own ends. Meyers’ biggest save occurred with 20 seconds left in overtime. The junior robbed a Wildcat attacker extending his blocker to knock the puck away, allowing time for UMass defenders to clear the zone.

In overtime, both goalies were tested often but stopped all shots.

At the 13 minute, 41 second mark, UNH forward Danny Dries was assessed a 5-minute major for hitting from behind – resulting in a game misconduct.

The Minutemen scored their lone goal on that power play.

On a misplayed puck by UNH defensemen Joe Charlebois and Foster, Chase Langeraap corralled the puck behind the net, skated back and slid it into a wide-open net uncontested.

Langeraap’s power-play goal was his first of the season in only his second game back from an injury.

The UMass lead would last only minutes. At the end of Dries’ 5-minute penalty, Wildcat James vanRiemsdyk deked by two UMass defenders, skated to the middle of the ice and fired a wrist shot that beat Meyers high stick side. The sophomore would also get the crowd on its feet later in the game, forcing a UMass penalty with 1:38 left in the third period.

For the next two periods the team would trade shots, penalties and shoves. The physical play started to intensify midway through the second period. Between the two teams they amounted 11 penalties, six of them coming in the second period when the physical play and frustration started to amount on both sides.

Ryan Fleming can be reached at [email protected].