UMass Notebook: Kellogg adds two more recruits

By Eli Rosenswaike, Collegian Staff

College basketball kicks off on campuses throughout the country Friday for the annual “Midnight Madness.” The Massachusetts men’s basketball team is no exception, as the Minutemen will host “Klub Kellogg” in the Curry Hicks Cage at 7 p.m. to show off the new-look roster and new coach Derek Kellogg.

But in the past few days it’s been less about the immediate future and more about the 2010 and 2011 seasons, as Kellogg has received two more commitments from high school players.

Javon Farrell (Upper Marlboro, Md.) and Raphiael Putney (Woodbridge, Va.) have committed to UMass. Farrell, a senior, is a 6-foot-5 guard and Putney, a junior, is a 6-foot-9 forward.

Farrell and Putney join Max Esho (6-foot-7 junior forward from Baltimore) and Freddie Riley (6-foot-5 guard from Oscala, Fla.) to the list of committed recruits.

Cross Country

Andrew Mulvaney helped the men’s cross country team finish in fifth place (out of 47 teams) in the New England Championships.

Mulvaney’s personal ninth-place finish out of 316 runners in the 8K course (finishing time of 25 minutes) resulted in an Atlantic 10 Performer of the Week Award.

Sean Duncan crossed the line 20 seconds behind, finishing in 31st overall. Sean Carle placed 43rd.

Tennis

The UMass tennis team will play its first and only dual match of the fall season today against Connecticut in Storrs.

The match was originally scheduled for Oct. 1 but had to be pushed back two weeks because of weather concerns.

The Minutewomen last played from Sept. 26-28 in the Eastern Collegiate Invitational in West Point, N.Y. UMass had an impressive showing in the event, as Laura Danai and Maude Lecluyse won the second doubles flight and Candynce Boney and Tanisha Hodgson won their respective singles consolation brackets.

UMass’ fall schedule ends with the Big Green Invitational from Nov. 7-9. After a two month layoff, the Minutewomen return to action on Feb. 1 against Long Island in Amherst.

Lacrosse

In fall action, the men’s lacrosse team participated in the Catamount Classic for a Cure Event to help raise money for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute.

The first-time event, which was held in Braintree, Mass., helped raise close to $30,000.

In addition to UMass, Brown, Bryant, Dartmouth, Holy Cross, Fairfield, Providence and Vermont all participated.

The Minutemen were 2-0-1 in the tournament, besting the Crusaders and the Catamounts and trying the Big Green.

Eli Rosenswaike can be reached at [email protected]