Alexander McQueen brings affordable fashion to Target

This March, Target retailers will release their latest fashion-forward clothing line to the bargain-loving masses. The event will be a cause for celebration for its most stylish customers, who will be able to afford clothes produced by major, high-fashion designers.

The program, called Designer Collaborations, is Target’s latest plan to make high-fashion designers’ lines available to the common shopper, who couldn’t normally afford a $325 pair of pants. Designers for the program are asked to create affordable collections based on a specific muse.

The corporation has created other similar programs, such as GO International, which featured lines from up-and-coming international designers.

The most recent designer to create products specifically for the Target brand was Anya Hindmarch, who designed a series of handbags in October. Inventories of her bags sold out almost immediately.

Alexander McQueen, widely known as the ‘bad boy of fashion,’ designed the first line for the Designer Collaborations initiative. His muse is Leila Moss, frontwoman for the English band, Duke Spirit.

The line is an edgy take on classy looks, with an obvious punk rock aesthetic. McQueen incorporates dark colors, skinny jeans and studs into the line, which will be called ‘Alexander McQueen for Target.’

Pieces from the collection range in style from relatively basic looks to more complex, detailed designs. The designs include an asymmetrically-cropped cap-sleeved jacket, an all-black one piece, and several solid and patterned dresses. Most are black with a hint of color ‘- pink, blue, white or patterns ‘- for contrast.

While not all of the pieces in the line are asymmetrical, the ones that are appear to be among the most high-fashion-looking looks available. Each look lives up to McQueen’s reputation as one of the most unconventional high-fashion designers in the industry.

McQueen also played with different shapes in his collection, adding rounded sleeves to a top and a dress. He also featured a one-strap bubble dress. Each look is airy and light, perfectly appropriate for spring.

The collection also includes an elegant piece of swimwear in the form of a black bikini.

The line may be considered a retail-friendly version of one of McQueen’s previous collections, called McQ.

Unfortunately for consumers, the line does not include McQueen’s fabulous stiletto heels featured on each page of the collection’s look book.

McQueen has also designed for Givenchy and Puma. He has done other work with Gucci, and released a line of cosmetics with MAC in 2007.

Look for Alexander McQueen’s line at Target between March 1 and April 11, 2009. A new designer’s line will take its place shortly after. Target has yet to release more information about other designers participating in Designer Collaborations.

Ellie Rulon-Miller can be reached at [email protected].