Minutewoman basketball experiences four-game losing streak

Ryan Fung/Collegian

The beginning of Atlantic 10 play has not worked out the way Massachusetts women’s basketball coach Marnie Dacko wanted.

‘ After an 80-51 home route of Northeastern on Dec. 20, the Minutewomen (8-12, 1-4 A-10) dropped seven of their last nine contests, including its past four conference games.

Here is a look of how UMass did over the winter break, and how these games will impact the rest of its season.

Richmond 82, UMass 68

On Saturday, the Minutewomen lost their fourth straight contest, as A-10 foe Richmond outrebounded UMass on the offensive side of the ball and went on to an easy victory, 82-68.

Senior guard Sakera Young had a career-high 16 points, with 14 of those points coming in the second half. Richmond outscored UMass 33-10 in the final eight minutes of the first half, taking a 51-35 lead. The Minutewomen came within eight points of the Spiders, but a layup and back-to-back 3-pointers halted the surge, and UMass couldn’t cut the lead substantially.

Xavier 83, UMass 54

Despite Kristina Danella and Stefanie Gerardot along with sophomore forward Cerie Mosgrove scoring in double figures, UMass couldn’t get things started early in the first half, falling to Xavier, 83-54, on Jan. 21.

A 31-4 run for the Musketeers put away the Minutewomen early. UMass shot an abysmal 21.2 percent from the field in the first half and were 1-for-12 from 3-point territory.

UMass cut the lead to 18 in the second half, but could not get any closer.

St. Bonaventure 67, UMass 54

The Minutewomen were again put into an early, first-half deficit, despite breaking the single-season record for 3-pointers, even with a season-low two 3-point field goals on Jan. 17. The Bonnies went on an 12-0 run, aided by several of UMass’ 17 turnovers.

Charlotte 67, UMass 53

Danella led the team in scoring for the third straight game, but it wasn’t enough to defeat the 49ers at home on Jan. 14. The freshman had 18 points, with only her and Gerardot reaching double figures (10 points) along with a team-best seven rebounds. The second half saw Charlotte build a 19-point cushion and never looked back.

UMass 71, Fordham 62

With a win over the Rams, UMass recorded just its third back-to-back win of the season. Danella led the Minutewomen in scoring for the second straight game, tallying 24 points along with three blocks, two steals and four rebounds. The Minutewomen led by two at halftime with a score of 36-34, and would not trail again for the rest of the game. The Minutewomen could have built on the early conference victory, but dropped four straight games.

UMass 63, N.J.I.T. 50

After the three-game skid, the Minutewomen took advantage of another successful second half offensively and buckled down on the defensive front which translated into the victory over N.J.I.T on Jan. 7. Four UMass players were in double figures, led by Danella who scored 16 second-half points.

Boston College 89, UMass 55

In its final non-conference game of the season, the Minutewomen again struggled offensively early on; but were forced to play catch-up in the second half on Jan. 4. Gerardot led all scorers with 16 points and six rebounds; but it wasn’t enough, as the Eagles dominated in every offensive category. This continued the Minutewomen’s losing streak to three games.

Boston University 82, UMass 75

UMass shot above 50 percent for the second straight game, but couldn’t edge the Terriers in a home contest back on Jan. 2. Gerardot added her fourth, 20-point game of the season, while redshirt sophomore guard Diatiema Hill notched a career-high 15 points, but a second half scoring surge did not lead UMass to victory, as it dropped its second straight game

Seton Hall 79, UMass 74

UMass couldn’t hold off visiting Seton Hall back on Dec. 29, despite shooting 58.6 percent in the second half and 51.8 percent for the game. Gerardot and Young, along with junior guard Kim Benton, all scored in double figures, with Gerardot leading the team with 16 points. Danella, who has seen her role and minutes increase throughout the season, got her first collegiate start while adding nine points and seven assists. For the second consecutive game, freshman forward Alesia Howard tied a career-best with six points in nine minutes of action off of the bench.

UMass 82, Northeastern 51

Danella tied the record for most 3-pointers in a game (seven), as the rest of the Minutewomen drained 14 3-pointers to coast to a 31-point victory over the Huskies on Dec. 20. The Minutewomen outscored NU 24-9 off turnovers and led in fast-break points (14-2) along with a 28-18 advantage in points in the paint. The Minutewomen will host Saint Louis at 2 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 31 at the Mullins Center.

David Brinch can be reached at [email protected].