Correia latest 2006 recruit to leave UMass

By Eli Rosenswaike, Collegian Staff

Maxwell Sparr/Collegian

Not only is Travis Ford a thing of the past for the Massachusetts men’s basketball team, but so is the majority of the recruiting class he signed in 2006.

Add Gary Correia to the list of departed signees from that class, signed by former coach Ford. According to multiple reports, the sophomore point guard will transfer. This comes just weeks after the news that Matt Glass will also leave UMass.

Glass is looking at schools in the Ivy and Patriot Leagues. Correia’s possible destination is not yet known.

Correia’s decision to depart brings the total to seven out of the eight in Ford’s 2006 class that won’t be with the team next season. Five have transferred ‘- Correia, Glass, Papa Lo (Bryant), Max Groebe (Cornell), Travon Wilcher (Maine) ‘- another never enrolled at UMass (Marcus Matthews), and Trey Lang left Division I college basketball altogether.

The only player remaining is Matt Hill, who missed virtually all of the 2008-09 season with a torn Achilles tendon ‘- his second major injury in his two years in Amherst. His return next season is still a question mark.

None of Ford’s signees in 2006 played a big role for the Minutemen in their brief tenures in Amherst.

Hill, the only remaining player at UMass of the 8-player recruiting class, has only played in eight career games in two seasons. He’s scored three points in his career.

Correia began the season as point guard Chris Lowe’s primary backup. But as the season progressed, the athleticism and scoring ability off the bench by freshman David Gibbs cut significantly into Correia’s playing time.

He finished the season with 11 minutes 2.2 points per game in 29 contests.

Eli Rosenswaike can be reached at [email protected]