Republican Club vice president arrested, banned from offices

Two separate restraining orders were filed in court on Friday morning against the University of Massachusetts Republican Club vice president who subsequently was arrested the same day for violating one of the orders. He has since been banned from the Republican Club offices on campus.

Bradley S. DeFlumeri, of 215 Ferry St. 2 Everett, Mass., was arrested at 4:13 p.m. on Friday afternoon and charged with violating an abuse prevention order that had been filed in Eastern Hampshire District Court in Belchertown earlier that day. A female Mt.’ Holyoke College student and a female UMass student ‘- who each had been in a relationship with DeFlumeri according to police ‘- made written and oral statements to their respective police departments and a judge asking for a restraining order against DeFlumeri.

‘There was a female UMass student who came to the UMPD last Friday at 1:00 a.m. and reported some things to us that were of concern, with Brad the target of that concern, enough so that we did an extensive investigation,’ said University of Massachusetts Police Department Deputy Chief Patrick Archbald. The female gave police a written statement, but authorities did not issue a warrant for DeFlumeri at that time. ‘The information that came to us did not amount to enough probable cause to make an arrest for abuse,’ he added.

‘But it was the opinion of our domestic violence specialist and the victim that a restraining order was appropriate,’ said Archbald.

According to DeFlumeri, the student with whom he allegedly had a relationship with was corerced into pursuing legal action against him.

During the initial interview with the UMass victim, information came to the UMPD’s attention concerning another student who was also in the process of getting a restraining order against DeFlumeri.

‘The information was about a Mount Holyoke female that Brad was in a relationship with. She was being transported to Belchertown to also get a restraining order against him for some incidents that had just happened between Brad and her,’ he said.

Mount Holyoke Police also informed the UMPD that they wished to ban Brad from their campus.

‘There was a full restraining order issued by the District Court against Brad by the Mount Holyoke female,’ said Archbald.

While a UMPD officer was assisting the UMass student in court to get the second restraining order, DeFlumeri was served the Mount Holyoke order at the UMPD station in Dickinson Hall. ‘We gave him the restraining order copy and told [DeFlumeri] what it means,’ he said. DeFlumeri then left the station briefly.

‘The violation was immediately proceeding the issuing of the order. Within minutes, he violated it by making numerous phone calls to the Mount Holyoke victim,’ said Archbald. DeFlumeri, for reasons unknown, was then seen driving near the UMPD station.

‘One of our sergeants who is familiar with Brad and his car saw him and arrested him late Friday afternoon,’ he added.

DeFlumeri was then booked and spent the weekend in jail.

‘I understand that because the violation was so soon after he was issued the restraining order, the Clerk Magistrate said ‘no bail,” Archbald said.

DeFlumeri was then released Monday.

On Monday morning, the UMass student dropped her restraining order against DeFlumeri and recanted all her previous statements to police and the judge.

‘She went to court; she had to speak in front of the judge and proceeded to recant the statements,’ said Archbald. The Mount Holyoke order remains in ‘full effect.’

The first restraining order, by the Mount Holyoke female student, contains special stipulations which in turn could affect the day-to-day operating of the UMass Republican Club.

‘The stipulations state DeFlumeri must stay away from the Republican Club offices at UMass Amherst. The reason the court gave was because the Mount Holyoke student is in the Republican Club and part of the committee at Mount Holyoke,’ said Archbald.

The Mount Holyoke student gave information to all authorities involved that she frequently visits the Republican Club office at UMass.

‘All parties believed, considering her frequency of that office, it’s in the best interest of the victim to disallow Brad DeFlumeri access to that office,’ he added.

Republican Club president Greg Collins had no comment.

After DeFlumeri was released from jail on Monday, the UMPD received information that he was seen in the area of the Republican Club office. ‘We had a conversation with him about not testing the limits of the restraining order,’ said Archbald.

‘He has removed his things [from the office], and I have not heard in the last 24 hours that he has been up there,’ he added.

DeFlumeri said he plans to file multiple complaints against the UMPD.

‘I maintain my full innocence and am confident that due process of law will result in my vindication.

Adam P. Coulter can be reached at [email protected].