Maryland avoids upset

Maryland needed overtime, 105 yards in penalties and a wide-right field goal to avoid an upset at the hands of the Football Championship Subdivision James Madison University on Saturday, winning 38-35.

Freshman Nick Ferrara’s 26-yard field goal in overtime captured the victory for the Terps (1-1), as the Dukes lost their first game of 2009.

Starting with a six-yard touchdown punch by junior running back Jamal Sullivan, the Dukes scored 22 unanswered points in the second and third quarters to take a seven-point lead going into the fourth.

Terps senior Chris Turner, who was 25-for-38 for 236 yards on the night, marched his team down the field in the fourth quarter to tie the game.

JMU junior Drew Dudzik, who was 9-for-15 passing for 141 yards and three total touchdowns, quickly answered with a 70-yard run to again pull ahead of the Terrapins. Turner then drove Maryland 78 yards to push the game into overtime.

The Dukes opened the extra period with a one-yard drive, before Dukes sophomore Dixon Wright missed a 41-yard field goal attempt wide right. The Terrapins then closed out the game with a Ferrara try, avoiding a 0-2 start after losing badly to No. 10 California last week.

JMU outgained UMD in total yards on the night (417-359), but 11 penalties for 105 yards gave the Terrapins the advantage they needed to hold off the unranked FCS team.

James Madison plays at home against Virginia Military this Saturday.

Field Goal Block Ends Game

No. 1 Richmond held off unranked Delaware on Saturday with a swatted field goal attempt, winning 16-15 to move to 2-0 on the season and continue their 11-game winning streak left over from 2008.

The Hens (1-1, 0-1) opened the game with an 8-0 lead on a safety and two field goals by Jon Striefsky, not allowing a touchdown until 23 seconds left in the first half.

Richmond sophomore receiver Tre’ Grey caught a six-yard pass from senior quarterback Eric Ward to cap a 63-yard drive at the end of the second quarter. The Spiders couldn’t score again until the fourth when they came back from a 15-7 deficit and scored the final nine points of the game.

The Spiders were led by Ward, who finished with two touchdowns on 22-32 passing for 247 yards including 46 yards on the ground. Delaware quarterback Pat Devlin was 15-for-31 for 167 yards, 81 of which were to junior Mark Mackey.

Devlin’s lone interception was an acrobatic catch over the middle by Spider freshman Darryl Hamilton, who returned it 33 yards. The catch also helped set up the go-ahead field goal for the Spiders.

Richmond hosts Hofstra at 3:30 p.m. next week to open its final season playing at UR Stadium while the Blue Hens play at home against Delaware State at noon.

Make It Five Wins

Exactly 13 total rushing yards does not often win football games. Thus was the case for Ball State (0-2) against New Hampshire (2-0) on Saturday.

The Wildcats made it five straight victories in six years against FBS opponents and did so against a Cardinals team that went a perfect 12-0 last year.

The Wildcats gained the lead with 9:36 left in the second quarter and never looked back. Junior R.J. Toman found freshman wide receiver Joey Orlando on a 26-yard pass to strike first.

Tomlin finished 21-for-35 with 212 yards, 70 of which were to Orlando, as well as 51 yards rushing. Junior Sean Jellison ran for 55 yards and two scores and caught four balls for 43 yards.

Junior placekicker Ian McGarvey kicked three field goals on the night for the Cardinals.

The Wildcats’ defense recorded five sacks and an interception while allowing 127 yards to the Cardinals, including just 27 yards on 24 plays in the first half.

New Hampshire held senior running back MiQuale Lewis to just 21 yards on 14 carries. Last year, Lewis was named All-Mid American First Team after rushing for 1,736 yards and 22 touchdowns for the Cardinals. Redshirt freshman quarterback Kelly Page was 15-for-34 for 114 yards and a touchdown toss.

New Hampshire faces Dartmouth at home on September 26 at noon.

Daniel Herbeholz can be reached at [email protected].