Letters to the editor: October 15, 2009

RE: “The UMass administration is not your mother;” Brian Benson, October 8

Dear Editor,

In reference to Brian Benson’s editorial last Friday, there are a number of very important corrections to make:

1. The Student Government Association (SGA), not the Center for Student Development, approves all Registered Student Organizations (RSOs).

2. Student activities fees, not tax dollars, fund RSOs.

3. Any group of ten or more students who share a collective interest may petition to become an RSO.

4. The Center for Student Development provides a range of services to assist RSOs, in particular, advising RSOs about various university policies. Advising does not mean that we create these policies.

5. Spaces in the Student Union and Campus Center are overseen by Auxiliary Services. Accordingly, the policies for these spaces are set by Auxiliary Services.

6.  The Student Government Association allocates RSO office space in the Student Union building.

7. Electrocution is an ugly way to die and cutting into a power line is a quick way to get there. This is why folks who want to stake items into the grounds of public areas are required by Massachusetts Law to obtain Dig Safe permits. UMass Physical Plant is charged with ensuring that these laws are complied with. Dig Safe permits are FREE. There is no cost involved, only a little extra time.

8. EMTs are not required for all events serving food. They are stationed at events where there is possible risk to student safety.

If Brian or anyone else has further questions, please feel free to come by and visit us in room 416 in the Student Union Building. We will be happy to explain the processes involved with hosting successful campus events.

Center for Student Development Staff