One last moment of triumph for the Democrats

This past week should have been a good one for all Americans, particularly conservatives, after the gubernatorial races in New Jersey and Virginia resulted in Republican victories. Everything was seemingly going in the right direction.

The country made a loud and clear statement to the Democrats in Congress that they are fed up with their out-of-control spending. Democrats should have had no choice but to look at theirselves in the mirror and realize that their far-left agendas were going to wind up costing them their positions in Washington. That’s what should have happened, but how did Democrats really respond? They decided that now that their graves have been dug they may as well get the tombstones made up too.

This past weekend, the House of Representatives passed Nancy Pelosi’s version of a bi-partisan health care bill. The bill was recently labeled “the worst bill ever” by a Wall Street Journal editorial.

To summarize the consequences of the bill’s passage: disaster. As I have said in the past, the bill is going to cause massive increases in the costs of health care and is likely going to lead to rationing as a means for controlling costs. That is, in addition to the fact that the bill is going to cost an estimated $1.2 trillion at a time when the country already faces a record deficit. But for me, this isn’t even the worst of the problems.

Unlike many of our government’s blunders in the past, the damage that is now going to be done to our health care system is completely irreversible. It is one thing to raise taxes or tariffs, but it’s another to completely overhaul the health care system. Raised taxes can be lowered, but the new health care system can never be fixed and everyone in the government knows it.

This health care bill is going to mandate care to the approximately 30 million people who don’t currently have it. It would be political suicide for any candidates in future elections to run for office with repealing it as part of their platform, regardless of how big of a flop the new system proves to be. If a candidate is telling 30 million people he is taking their health care coverage away, those 30 million people are highly unlikely to vote for that candidate. We’re stuck with Obamacare.

That is why Democrats voted for this bill, even though they know it will mark the end of their majorities in Congress. Representatives should have been well aware of their putrid approval ratings and the growing disapproval with the direction of the country. However if they weren’t aware, they definitely were notified when Jon Corzine lost re-election as governor of New Jersey despite outspending his opponent by a 3-to-1 margin and receiving the endorsement of President Barack Obama. They also may have noticed Republican Bob McDonnell winning Virginia, a state Obama won in 2008, by an 18 percent margin. But this is all irrelevant to Democrats right now. Republicans are inevitably going to retake control of Congress, but they will never be able to repeal Obamacare. Democrats needed to seize the opportunity to push this bill through while they still held the political power to do so and they did it.

Honestly, I can’t say this stuns me or makes me angry. I already knew this was going to happen when anti-Bush fever swept Republicans out of office last year. Not to say Republicans didn’t deserve to be punished for their out of control spending, they did, and they were rightfully voted out, but now we must pay the price for putting Pelosi in power.

In the next 10 years we can all look forward to health care costs skyrocketing, probably doubling and tripling before the costs become too high for anyone to afford. At that point, there will be a public outcry for a change to the system and that will be to the only thing that can control health care costs: government run health care.

That will leave Obama and all his friends with what they have wanted all along. That’s what liberals are striving for, that’s the goal of this bill. Liberal politicians are playing political games with the future of our country and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Passing “the worst bill ever” and sacrificing the upcoming elections is a small price to pay for liberals who have been waiting their whole careers to make America as “progressive” as the European Union.

So much for the good week.

Alex Perry is a Collegian columnist. He can be reached at [email protected].