UMass gets first sweep of season as both men and women win

Both the men’s and women’s swim teams placed first and second in the 200-yard medley relay to open the day against Stony Brook on Saturday. The dual meet eventually resulted in victories of 193-101 for the men and 180-115 for the women.

The wins – the first sweep of the season – puts both teams at 2-1 on the year.

“This [win] was a step up for the team,” women’s coach Bob Newcomb said. Men’s coach Russ Yarworth agreed, saying the men are “learning how to pace their races.”

Juniors Max Butler, Brian Schmidt and Chris Howard joined senior Juan Moliere for the relay victory (1:35.84). Senior Mike Berthaume led Trevor Ziegler and freshmen Beau Garufi and Sasan Tehrani to second place (1:38.18).

Freshman Amina Meho anchored juniors Jennifer Corriveau, Jessica Starosielec and sophomore Sarah Kanellas to a first-place time of 1:50.73.

Junior Gillian Bank opened for the second-place team, followed by freshmen Lauren Mark and Erin Phinney. Junior Kaitie English out-touched Kelsey Stranc at the wall to finish at 1:55.03 – just .20 of a second ahead of Stony Brook’s first finisher.

Elizabeth Walsh joined Corriveau, Kanellas and Meho for the top 400-yard freestyle relay time (3:38.26).

Bank earned her first win of the season in the 100-yard backstroke, riding the fastest split of her career to beat junior Walsh, 1:01.17 to 1:01.68.

“That was a phenomenal swim,” Newcomb said of Bank’s win.

The women swept the 100-yard breaststroke, with Rachel Borden (1:07.78), Starosielec (1:08.62) and Meghan Nowak (1:09.78) taking first, second and third, respectively.

On Saturday, three other women took first in two races each.

Meho (53:41) out-touched Stony Brook’s Darcy Heuser (53:76) for a 100-yard freestyle win and also won the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 24.34, followed by Corriveau at 25.10. Newcomb called Meho the performer of the week.

“She anchored both of the relays and had great swims [in her individual races],” Newcomb said.

Freshman Julie Magyar won the first and only 400-yard individual medley race of the regular season with a time of 4:37.50.

Magyar also took first for the second straight week in 1000-yard freestyle (10:38.72).

Sophomore Chelsea Downing won both the 500-yard (5:12.44) and 200-yard freestyle (1:57.33). She also finished second behind Magyar in the 400-yard IM (4:41.76).

Minutewomen diver Hannah Swift, a freshmen, earned her best score of the season in the one-meter (236.39) as well as a victory in the three-meter (213.30).

Without anyone to compete against, Jason Cook, John Clark and Adam Duffield placed first through third in both the one and three-meter event. Cook, who holds the school record in both, finished with a score of 289.50 in the one-meter and 322.50 in the three-meter.

The men’s 400-yard freestyle relay also yielded a one-two finish for UMass. Howard, Ziegler, Tehrani and Moliere finished at 3:10.23, while freshmen Jorge Fortin and Pete Sacco joined sophomore Ryan Brooks and junior Julian McKean for second (3:12.79).

“This meet shows that we’ve got a nice, deep team,” Yarworth said. “It’s nice to have front line swimmers, but it’s the second and third line that makes a championship.”

Senior Juan Moliere, one of the front-line swimmers, won the 200-yard freestyle (1:45.55).

Beau Garufi – who Yarworth said has “potential to be an elite breaststroker” – earned first in 100-yard breaststroke (1:01.88) and out-touched Schmidt 2:16.53 to 2:16.78 in the 200-yard breaststroke.

Schmidt also won the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 2:01.27.

Howard (52.31) and Sacco (53.87) placed first and second in the 100-yard butterfly.

Yarworth highlighted the efforts of Ziegler, who “popped off a great time” in his 50-yard freestyle win (21.41), followed closely by McKean (22.12).

Sophomore Joey Sbordon swam the maiden 400-yard individual medley of the year for a first-place finish (4:13.47).

“Our team answered the call,” Yarworth said.

Daniel Herberholz can be reached at [email protected].