UMass junior Maia F. McDermott, 21, dies in early morning crash

University of Massachusetts student Maia F. McDermott, 21, of Clinton, died early Saturday morning when a vehicle she was driving struck a utility pole in Bolyston, Mass. and burst into flames, according to police. (Courtesy Facebook)

A 21-year-old University of Massachusetts student died early this morning when a vehicle she was driving struck a utility pole in Bolyston, Mass. and burst into flames, according to police.

A 2006 Mazda, driven by Maia F. McDermott of 158 Walnut St. in Clinton and traveling north on Route 70, or Main Street, in Boylston, crossed into the southbound lane and crashed into a utility pole about a half mile south of the Route 140 intersection at around 2:20 a.m. Saturday, said a press release from Bolyston Police Chief Anthony G. Sahagian.

McDermott, a junior who was studying for a Bachelor’s Degree with Individual Concentration at UMass, was killed in the accident which engulfed the vehicle in flames and closed Rte. 70 for around three hours afterwards, the release said. She was expected to graduate in 2011 and lived in the Puffton Village Apartments on North Pleasant Street in Amherst, according to University officials.

“Our deepest condolences go out to Maia’s parents Brian and Lori McDermott and her many friends here at UMass and at home,” said a campus-wide e-mail sent Sunday by Dean of Students Jo-Anne Vanin. “Anyone needing to access the campus support services is welcome to come to the Dean of Students Office where the staff is ready to be of assistance.”

Town and state police along with fire and emergency medical service technicians responded to the accident, which remains under investigation, police said.

Matt Rocheleau can be reached at [email protected].

View UMass student dies in early morning crash – DailyCollegian.com in a larger map