Campus organizations celebrate International Women’s Day

Campus organizations and community members joined together yesterday to celebrate International Women’s Day in the Cape Cod Lounge.

The Everywoman’s Center, the Women of Color Leadership Network and the GSS Graduate Women’s Network hosted the event, which included food, music, appearances by a multitude of Registered Student Organizations (RSO) and poetry readings. The celebration also included free massages and free Henna tattoos.

A moving “Women of Hope” photo collection, biographies and stories of women such as Maya Angelou, Toni Morrison and Julia Alvarez were also shown. While the turnout of the event was a predominantly female audience, there were a few men in attendance.

International Women’s Day is recognized by the United Nations and observed with parties, education and political discussions, said event organizers. The event provided education regarding involvement, sexual health and women of different races, explained by UMass RSO students.

Junior Jessica Toussaint, a volunteer for The Women of Color Leadership Network, discussed some of the events that her RSO puts on during the year. The club is responsible for providing “Dorm Dialogues,” workshops providing information to women of color in different dormitories about domestic abuse, eating disorders, diseases and body image, among other issues.

The RSO also gives women of color a place to connect with each other, a place to relax and a place to make friends, she said. The network will also be sponsoring an event called “Body Politics” on Apr. 16 and 17 in the Bowker Auditorium. “Body Politics” will include a play, written by members.

The Everywoman’s Center is an education advocacy group on campus that puts on workshops to not only the UMass community but also to all of Hampshire County. They are responsible for the “Consent Is Sexy” campaign; an awareness movement about how to consent to sexual activity, pressure, and sexual expectations of both partners. The Everywoman’s Center also works with the Rape Crisis and Violence Prevention Programs, which provides free, confidential services to both men and women seeking help. The Center provides court, academic, hospital and police advocacy, as well as emergency support.

A newly reestablished undergraduate RSO, the Student Parent Association was also in attendance at the event. President Jessica Dautruche, a student mother, says that the RSO is a haven for not only student parents, but also students who may potentially become parents at any point in their lives, not just in their careers at UMass.

The RSO provides communication and support, as well as hosting “Dinner On Us” every Monday night which includes supervised children’s activities, a family dinner and a roundtable discussion for parents.

“I’m really excited that we brought the organization back,” said Dautruche, a student mother of a five year old. “It lets you know that you’re not alone, that others are in the same situation as you.”

Karen Lederer, the undergraduate advisor of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies was also on hand to talk about the 35th anniversary of the program. She also discussed the recent change from “Women’s Studies” to the new name to incorporate intersexual analysis.

Student RSO VOX, the reproductive rights group, was also there providing free condoms and lubricant, as well as pamphlets discussing the political issues regarding women’s rights.

“We bring attention to safe sex issues. We usually have a big turnout at events because we always hand out free condoms and every one loves to get free condoms,” said senior volunteer Meghan Lemay.

At VOX meetings, the discussion ranges from women possibly losing rights with the new healthcare bill to how there is no abortion clinic in Hampshire County. Lemay said the group brings attention to issues that “until you really need them, you would never realize they weren’t there.”

Freshmen Mary Lenahan and Rebecca Ellis said that women’s awareness is important and that the event provided a wealth of relevant information. They thought that the RSOs provided cool opportunities that they may otherwise not have heard about.

“My friend studied abroad in Europe where the holiday is a big deal,” said Lenahan. “She got flowers just for being a woman. I wish the day was like that here, too.”

“All the issues brought to light here; abuse, sexuality, violence, are all important,” added Ellis. “They should be better promoted and made more aware to more students.”

The event concluded with a poetry reading from poets Lesléa Newman, Lenelle Moïse and Karen Johnston.

Newman is the author of “Heather Has Two Mommies,” the first published book that portrayed lesbian families in a positive light. She was thrilled to be asked to the event and is glad that International Women’s Day is making a comeback.

When asked what message she would like to send to young female poets in honor of the day, Newman said, “Write your heart out. Read as much as possible. Never give up your dreams.”

Ashley Berger can be reached at [email protected].