No burka, no problem

France has stepped up to the plate, according to BBC news. An ongoing debate concerning the legal status of the burka – an infamous dress worn most often by the women of Islam – has been settled. The burka, in all its degenerative glory, endows a full covering of the female flesh, leaving visible only the eyes; the mouth is left covered, drawing a massive suggestion that a woman’s voice in society is of no value. Thus far only the headpiece has been banned, being deemed a degrading instrument to downplay the equality of women in society.

For obvious reasons there has been a major push back from Muslims who argue the move is as an intrusion on individual rights to religious expression.  What one may be astonished to acknowledge is that nowhere in the Qur’an does it state that women must wear the burka; this is in fact a neoconservative installation to uphold male domination.  The burka is a demeaning garb used to keep women both subservient and silent and should be treated as such. To wear it signifies a position of no authority, no power, no voice; it is victimizing an entire gender. Considerably more important, the burka is dangerous to the health of its host and any offspring she may produce.  Putting aside the mental hazards, babies may have an increased chance of getting Rickets due to vitamin D deficiency induced by the burka’s complete shading of the sun.

The argument from the nation, however, begs more than just a matter of sexism, infantile health and the censorship of Muslim women; it has been a matter of individual rights versus national security, which shouldn’t be a dispute at all. 

Another authenticity behind this ensemble is that it is often not worn solely (although sometimes) by the will of the female, but under order of the husband, father or some authoritarian male figure. The idea being that for each woman there is a domineering man, and said male should carry with him the sole right to view the woman, often his wife or daughter.

The burka, again, carries with it not only the chauvinist aura but propagates religious extremism in the post-September 11 era of terrorism. Many Muslims are outraged at the pervasion of ‘civil rights’ that would be implicated by a boycott of ‘religious tradition.’ Yet there must be a word spoken on behalf of the interest of the majority, when the rights to an individual’s ‘freedom of religious expression’ produces a warrant for the subordination of women and the forceful means of conversion to the Islam faith. Society cannot and should not attempt to adapt to religious fanatics of any faith that impose beliefs on other people whom are in fact entitled to this same liberty of personal belief.

Any professor here at the University of Massachusetts will tell you that power comes from thinking collectively, not individually. Well the time has come where we must think collectively for the safety of the population. So long as radical bullying continues to invade upon the safety of the people, it should be thoroughly fought against.

Nothing shows the decision in France to be a step in the right direction more than the recent attempted assassination of a liberal Imam who supported the burka ban in Paris. Hassen Chalghoumi, a younger and clearly more moderate Muslim, found himself tormented by an outraged, blood-seeking mob of 80 Muslim radicals. The mob broke into Chalghoumi’s mosque shouting things such as “God is great” and “Liquidation, this Imam of the Jews.”

If disgusting actions like this should produce any fortunate outcome, it is in the revelation that a movement towards secularity is in order. Recently the London Press released an article saying that they too will consider a national ban on the burka. The article continues to add that more progressive, moderate Muslim groups such as the Muslim Canadian Congress have joined in for the advocacy of the ban. Groups like this deserve, more than anything, gratitude from their fellow religious companions and hopefully there will be no such actions performed as was done to Chalghoumi’s mosque in Paris.

It is in these vital decisions, like that of the burka, that our path to ultimate human solidarity can be made or broken.

Shane Nickerson is a Collegian columnist. He can be reached at [email protected].