Executive vice chancellor for University Relations Milligan resigns

Tom Milligan, executive vice chancellor for University Relations at the University of Massachusetts, announced his resignation on Tuesday after two years of service, making Milligan the latest in a series of public relations representatives to leave the University.

According to the announcement made by University officials on April 20, Milligan will be assuming the position of vice chancellor of External Relations at Colorado State University. 

The move is a return to CSU for Milligan who had previously served on the cabinet of former University president, Al Yate, before he assumed his position at UMass in the summer of 2008.

When he takes up his new position with CSU, Milligan will be paid a salary of $225,000 a year, an increase from the previous salary of $150,000 per year.

Milligan’s resignation follows several shake-ups with the University Relations office involving staff reorganization, as part of Holub’s multi-year plan to raise the profile of the University.

Due to the reorganization, several staff members have taken positions elsewhere including Sharon L. Kennaugh, former director of state government relations, and Richard H. Conner, former executive director of government and community relations.

Other moves include the former assistant director of state government relations, Cheryl L. Dukes to different department, and the departure of Martha Nelson Patrick, director of community relations for a position in the University’s Ombuds Office.

Milligan will stay on with the University until the end of August in order to ensure a smooth transition for his replacement which will be selected as soon as possible, according to Chancellor Robert C. Holub.

Of Milligan’s decision to resign, Holub said, “The University relations team has made a great impact on campus and on our key constituents by creating a better understanding and support for UMass Amherst. I appreciate all that Tom and his team have done to move our university forward. We certainly wish him well and understand his desire to be near his family in Colorado.”

“We’ve made major improvements in recent years, and have a good structure in place to do even more in the future,” Holub added. “We have a good foundation to build on, and our future success depends on us continuing to make strides in building a clear and compelling image of UMass here on campus and around the world.”

– Collegian News Staff