Kellogg inks recruit Traynham

Massachusetts men’s basketball coach Derek Kellogg is hoping size doesn’t matter when it comes to point guards this season.

The Minutemen signed recruit Daryl Traynham from Upper Marlboro, Maryland, on April 19. He recently played in the Capital Classic, where he finished with 15 points and six assists, with his performance earning him all-tournament honors.

Traynham also earned the Washington Post 2010 All-MET honors, averaging 23.4 points per game and nine assists. He shot 81.2 percent from the free-throw line this season and scored at least 30 points in four different games.

“I just felt comfortable with the coaches at UMass,” Traynham said to UMass Athletics. “I feel that the program is headed in the right direction and UMass has such a family atmosphere with the team.”

Traynham played with the D.C. Assault AAU team with freshman Javorn Farrell and incoming freshman Maxie Esho, as Rivals.com ranks him as the 27th point guard and 110th overall in the country.

ESPNU gives him an 87 grade, noting his ability to score off the dribble and his willingness to attack the basket.

Although Traynham verbally committed a few months ago, he had not officially signed his National Letter of Intent. He should get the opportunity to prove himself right away, as sophomore David Gibbs is transferring to another school after breaking his foot on Feb. 2.

Besides Esho, Traynham also joins Jesse Morgan and Raphiael Putney as part of the incoming class. Morgan could be eligible to play for the Minutemen as soon as Spring 2011 and Putney redshirted the 2009-10 season.

UMass is not expected to sign any other players, as both Gibbs and senior Ricky Harris’s scholarships spots are now taken.

Adam Miller can be reached at [email protected].