Patrick delivers lecture on technology at UMass Thursday

Governor Deval Patrick became the last speaker in the Sidney Topol Distinguished Lecturer Series Thursday, presenting a nearly 20-minute address at the University of Massachusetts covering emerging technology, state budgetary dilemmas, Western Mass. and the Bay State’s economy, and his administration’s attempts to link local jobs, technological development and energy efficiency.

Patrick’s speech, held in the Campus Center Auditorium, was the final installment of the series, established in 1997 through a gift from University of Massachusetts alumnus

Sidney Topol, a telecommunications developer who helped create the cable-satellite connection which many feel catalyzed the burgeoning of cable television in the U.S.

In his discussion, Patrick did not contest that the Commonwealth has experienced trying economic times throughout America’s current recession, but said before the crowd of students, faculty, administrators and community members that he has worked to produce green initiatives designed for economic and environmental advancement.

“Qteros is developing cellulosic ethanol based on discoveries made right here at UMass Amherst, and recently broke ground on a new facility in Chicopee,” said the Governor. “Scuderi Engines, a Research and Development firm in Springfield, is on the cutting edge of new super-efficient gas, diesel and hybrid engines,” he continued.

Topol, a native Bostonian, is the former president, CEO, chairman of the board and director of Scientific-Atlanta, Inc., a manufacturer producing broadband communications systems, satellite-based networks and instrumentation for industrial communications and government applications, according to a UMass Office of News and Media Relations release. Prior to his time at Scientific-Atlanta, Topol spent 22 years at Massachusetts-based Raytheon Co. He is now president of The Topol Group LLC, and is founding chairman of the Massachusetts Telecommunications Council, a past chairman of the Electronic Industries Association and sits on the Governor’s Advisory Committee on Information Technology and the Governor’s Council on Economic Growth.

Despite the series’ conclusion, a scholarship Topol and his wife established will go on at UMass. The Sidney & Lillian Topol Scholarship Fund for Diversity in the Natural Sciences provides $5,000 scholarships for students in the natural sciences so long as they maintain a 3.0 grade-point average.

Patrick is running for re-election this November. He is expected to face steep opposition from Independent Tim Cahill and Republican Charles Baker.

Sam Butterfield can be reached at [email protected].