UM seeks better access to communication

With the reorganization of outreach activities at the University of Massachusetts, the staff of the outreach marketing and technology department has made the offices of University Relations their new home, with all intents and purposes of increasing the access to communication resources.

The move was in response to the University’s efforts to strengthen its mission of providing additional communication resources to schools, colleges and the various departments on the UMass campus, according to associate vice chancellor for University Relations Amy Glynn.

“As UMass Amherst works to position itself among the top national public research institutions, our newly expanded team will help meet the communication and marketing needs of the entire campus,” Glynn said. “This effort will be collaborative and comprehensive, encompassing print, web, media relations and social media.”

The University Relations department at UMass hosts a staff of professionals who provide expertise in the areas of writing and editing, as well as graphic design, media and public relations, social media, photography and event planning, according to their website.

The staff members of University Relations use multimedia to further communication with several different mediums including print, web, video and electronic communications.

With the addition of the outreach marketing and technology department to University Relations, the office will also launch a new unit which, according to Glynn, will pursue additional revenue generating markets.

The marketing and new business development office, as it is known, will focus on Continuing Professional Education (CPE) and non-traditional learners.

“Expanding educational opportunities to others allows the University to meet its core mission while also increasing revenue sources for the campus,” Glynn said.

On speaking of the executive director of the new unit, Michael Grabscheid, Glynn expressed confidence for the project as a whole.

“I am pleased that this effort is being led by Executive Director Michael Grabscheid,” she said.

Glynn added that, “Michael brings a wealth of experience and an understanding of how to position the University competitively.”

Jennifer Heshion can be reached at [email protected].