Valencia throws perfect game; Yellow Jackets come back after loss

Michigan right hand pitcher and junior Jordan Valencia claimed her first perfect game on Saturday against Minnesota.  The No. 2 Wolverines beat the Gophers by scoring 10 runs in five innings, which is the mercy rule in Divison I softball.

Valencia had struck out 10 out of 15 batters in just five innings, and has improved her overall record to 16-2. Valencia received the Big Ten Pitcher of the Week Award for the fourth time this season.

Contributing to the win was senior left handed pitcher Nikki Nemitz, who sealed the win with her 10th consecutive win, improving her record to 13-3.

First baseman Dorian Shaw drove in three runs for the Wolverines and lengthened her hitting streak to nine games. Furthermore, senior catcher Roya St. Clair drove in the game-winning run to seal the deal against the Gophers. The Wolverines have won five in a row and are undefeated in conference play, while the Gophers are 15-25 and have a five-game losing streak.

Georgia Tech rebounds

After coming off a loss against No. 11 Georgia, the No.7 Yellow Jackets rebounded against Virginia by completing a 3-0 sweep against the Cavaliers. On Sunday, the Yellow Jackets won 8-0 in just five innings.

Sophomore Pitcher Jessica Coan had six strikeouts that held off the UVA batters. Sophomore outfielder Kate Kuzma was 2-for-3 in the game, with one home run and four runs batter in.

Junior catcher Kristine Priebe, had a two run home run in the game that capped off the win for the Yellow Jackets, who outhit the Cavilers 8-2. Freshman pitcher, Melanie Mitchell for Virginia allowed six runs on four hits.  Sophomore pitcher Stephen Coates took over for Mitchell, but also gave up two runs and four hits. UVA moves to 27-13 on the year and sits third in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

The Yellow Jackets sit at No.7 in the rankings, and first in the ACC.

No.1 Huskies led by Lawrie

Washington  senior  pitcher Danielle Lawrie threw 39 strikeouts and has an earned run average of 1.33 in just 21 innings in the three games she has started. Over the past weekend, Arizona threatened to take the No.1 spot from UW, but the Huskies beat them in a three-game series. Lawrie, was named Pacific 10 Pitcher of the Week for the second time in two weeks, and earned USA Softball National Player of the Week honors.

Freshman catcher Shawna Wright hit a two run home in the second, and then a RBI single, while senior outfielder Bailey Stetson brought home two more runs to give the Huskies 4-0 lead in just two innings.  The Wildcat offense, which is the top offense in the country, was stopped by Lawrie, who gave up two runs in a 7-0 victory. Washington improved its record to 33-3, and sits No.1 in the country and in the Pac-10. The Wildcats record dropped to 32-7, and is No.3 in the rankings but fifth in the Pac-10.

Daniel Giardina can be reached at [email protected].