49ers drop pair of games over weekend

The Charlotte softball team lost to Fordham, 1-0, in Game 1 and 8-0 in Game 2 on Saturday. The 49ers have now dropped their last two games and slid to 14-4.

Charlotte pitcher Emily Jeffery (294 strikeouts), who broke her strikeout  record, pitched the whole game while allowing only three hits, and striking out nine batters. That, however, wasn’t enough to get the win. The Rams junior Jocelyn Dearborn hit a solo homerun off of Jefferies to ruin what seemed like a scoreless first game of the series. In the second game, Dearborn hit a walk-off homerun, which gave the Rams an 8-0 win  and mercy rule in just six innings against the 49ers.

With their hitting, the Rams defense would not hold back. Pitcher Jen Mineau in the first game struck out 16 batters, and in the second struck out only four. Mineau improved her overall pitching record to 29-5, and improved the Rams record to 14-2. Unfortunately, the 49ers dropped to third place in the Atlantic 10 conference, while the Rams moved up to second place in hoping to compete in the championships, and keep  pace with UMass.

Hawks in motion

In a one game series this past weekend, Saint Joseph’s took down La Salle for a 9-1 victory in five innings. 

The Red Hawks offense started and ended with senior Brooke Darreff who led the SJU offense with two home runs, including a two-run shot in the second and a solo homerun to lead off the fourth inning. 

Sophomore Bernadette Moran added a two-run double. The Explorers cycled on three pitchers to which could not stop the Red Hawks. While the rest of the team struggled to get on base, La Salle’s Erica Ville earned the only run of the game for the Explorers.

Red Hawks pitcher Erin Gallagher struck out four batters in the game and improved her record to 20-7. Gallagher set the record by having 20 consecutive wins on the season. La Salle’s overall record dropped to 13-26, and is 11th in the Atlantic Conference with a 2-14 record.

SLU looking to move up

The Billiken’s split their weekend (1-1) against Saint Bonaventure.

Freshman Laura Bohning hit in the second inning which posed a threat to SBU, but pitcher Sherri Thompson struck out the next batter. Thompson allowed two hits in seven innings, and eleven strikeouts. The Bonnies earned their first  run in the fourth inning by junior Kara Morenus, which gave them the win.

In the second game, SLU took the first shot, by which sophomore Rachel Faletto hit a RBI double which brought home Kristin Nicoletti to give the Billiken’s a 1-0 edge over the Bonnies.

SBU’s record dropped to 5-9 in the A-10, while SLU improved their overall record to 27-22, and 11-6 in the A-10. The Billiken’s sit fifth, while the Bonnies are three places behind. The Billikens play the 49ers in an A-10 clash, while the Boonies head over to La Salle before playing Fordham next Sunday.

Daniel Giardina can be reached at [email protected]