Lightweight 8 takes first in nationals

The Massachusetts rowing team concluded its season this past weekend on a positive note at the USRowing Collegiate Championships.

The regatta took place in West Windsor, N.J. on Lake Mercer, the site of USRowing’s National Training Center.

In the Lightweight 8 race, the Minutewomen took first place with a time of 7 minutes, 33.426 seconds, finishing ahead of Tulsa by almost a full 20 seconds. The boat was coxswained by junior Carly Payne.

Sophomore Emily Boucher took first place in the Lightweight Single race with a time of 9:39.870, coming in 15 seconds ahead of a Tulsa competitor. Boucher took part in the Single Final as well, finishing second with a time of 9:17.208, three seconds behind TU.

Junior Elizabeth Euiler and senior Megan Donovan teamed up for the Lightweight Double, coming in first with a time of 8:39.814.

In the Openweight 8 race, UMass took third place with a time of 7:20.730, finishing behind Duke and Tulsa by three and six seconds, respectively.

In the final Quad race of the season the Minutewomen took fourth place with a time of 8:17.048. The pair of juniors Alexandra DiMatteo and sophomore Amanda Doolin took sixth in the Double final, finishing in 8:53.168.

In the Pair Final, UMass took both second and fifth place finishes. Sophomore Emily Grogan and junior Kelsey Schachter took second in 9:09.953 while juniors Teresa O’Brien and Emily Hagan took fifth in 9:32.468.

Earlier in the week senior Megan Donovan was named to the ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District Second Team. Donovan earned a 3.966 GPA throughout her college career studying kinesiology.

It was a year full of accolades for Donovan, who was a First Team All-Conference selection and an Atlantic 10 Academic All-Conference team selection for the second year in a row.

UMass was coming off of a strong performance at the Dad Vail regatta, where the Lightweight 8 won its final race and the Pair took third in their final race.

Eric Mansfield can be reached at [email protected].