Miller, Wilson head to Regionals

Seniors Brian Miller and Lisa Wilson will represent the Massachusetts track and field team this weekend at the NCAA East Regional. Miller will compete in the high jump while Wilson will test her strength in the hammer throw.

Both athletes have enjoyed successful senior campaigns. Miller took first place in three out of five events that he competed in during the spring including the New Hampshire Pre-Conference Meet, UMass Nine-Way Meet and the Atlantic 10 Championships.

Miller broke the school record in the high jump at the UNH Pre-Conference Meet, reaching a height of six feet, 8.25 inches before re-breaking his own mark at the A-10 Championships with a jump of 7-00.25.

Miller not only was fortunate enough to break the record and win his conference, but he had the pleasure of doing it on his home turf at the UMass Track and Field Complex.

“I never thought I’d be able to jump seven feet in my life, my heart was racing with all my friends and family and everyone cheering me on,” Miller said after the meet.

Wilson was consistently among the top spots of the leader board in her events. She competed in the hammer throw, discus and shot-put as her team’s top athlete.

Wilson broke the school record for the hammer throw twice this year and moved into the top spot at the UNH Pre-Conference Meet with a mark of 176-02 and she later improved upon her own mark with a distance of 185-01.

This is not Wilson’s first time in the event either. In 2008, Wilson competed in the Regional Championships at Florida State in the discus throw along with three other UMass athletes in various events. The East Regional Championships are set to take place May 28-29.

Michael Counos can be reached at [email protected].