Prepared for journalism’s unpredictable job search

This is a pretty tough job to do, to sum up what I’ve learned in the past four years in just one article. But the best life lesson I learned at UMass is that confidence is key. I won’t lie to you, it wasn’t something I had a whole lot of as an incoming freshman. But I was fortunate enough to find my passions here, and now I feel as if the sky is the limit for me. These are pretty bold words, considering that I don’t have anything solid lined up and as of tomorrow, I’m going back to the same job I’ve worked since high school (hey, at least I’ll be blogging about it!). In fact, I’m currently writing this from the basement at my parents’ house in Seekonk. Double lame.

But none of this bothers me, because I’ve developed this sense of confidence. I know that I’ve worked very hard these past four years, and the work opportunities are out there. Part of being a journalist is the challenge of finding and keeping the job, and I’m ready for it.

I had to leave my full-time writing commitment with The Collegian in the middle of my junior year when I started doing internships, but I haven’t forgotten what this paper has done for me. I signed on to the UMass journalism program simply because I loved to write, I knew I was decent at it and I wanted something focused where I could grow and learn something out of my comfort zone. I sure got it!

The one journalistic skill that I did not possess in the beginning was interviewing ability. I never royally screwed up an important interview, but I was always apprehensive about them.

A year later, I was able to speak with a family who lost their son in Iraq, with barely any nerves. I’ve also interviewed a cast member from The Real World. I’ve run frantically back and forth getting quotes between sides during an Israel-Palestine rally on the Amherst Common (and rushed desperately to finish the article before the paper was put to bed). I was also part of The Collegian’s 2008 election coverage, riding shotgun in the vans taking students to their designated polling stations, bugging them with questions about the SGA’s impact on their decision to vote. And I did it all for New England’s largest college daily.

I even had a final project for a class published during the last week of classes, on a subject very close to my heart. If I dare say, it was one of my proudest moments.

During the spring semester of my sophomore year, I learned of an opportunity to do a co-op with The Boston Globe. I also figured out that I had could feasibly do it full-time for a semester and still graduate on schedule. But when I actually applied for it a year later, I realized I needed a backup plan. I wanted to do something different, something spontaneous and unexpected. I decided to study abroad for my last semester of college. I got wind of internship opportunities in London through CAPA International Education. I put myself in a situation where getting rejected from The Boston Globe was not a bad thing. My reaction was, “Sweet! I’m going to London!”

With a background interning for the Amherst Bulletin Spring 2009 and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Fall 2009, CAPA thought I’d be a good fit working for the London Chamber of Commerce and Industry, as a writer for their monthly magazine, London Business Matters. It was a great experience, mainly because I hadn’t tried my hand at business writing before. Now it’s one more skill in my bag of tricks.

But let’s be honest, the work you do is just part of the whole study abroad experience. In the days before my departure, I was focused mostly on what I would be doing academically. Little did I know that it’s more of a social learning experience than anything else.

Before embarking on this journey, I had never left the U.S. before. In fact, I never even left the East Coast before this semester. Nor had I ever lived in a city before. And of course, living in an apartment building in London full of Americans on the same program (many of whom were legally drinking for the first time), there was never a dull moment. I also had many opportunities to see other parts of Europe, which of course I took full advantage of. I can now say I’ve been to The Hard Rock Café in five countries (I’m such a tourist, I know). I’m in so much debt, but I have no regrets. It was worth every penny.

What I found hardest was saying goodbye to everyone, just less than two weeks ago. It’s astounding to think that I now have numerous friends in New York, Pennsylvania, Minnesota and California, to name a few. I took a huge chance leaving the country for my last semester, but it helped me grow as a person. For me, cultural boundaries are a thing of the past. I’ve gained experience with a third internship, in a very posh office environment. I’ve been published internationally! Sure, it might have delayed when I find a post-graduate job a little, but I also have something that sticks out a bit more on my resume. And now I feel that I have the world at my fingertips.

I guess London gave me a confidence boost I didn’t know I needed. Toward the end of fall 2009, I felt I couldn’t learn much else while still in college. Ironically enough, the biggest lesson London taught me is that life is a constant learning experience, and when you fail to take in new knowledge, you are missing out.

My advice to every student reading this, whether you are graduating or not, is to always keep that confidence going. Aim high. Don’t turn down a job or internship opportunity because you might not get it. And never be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and learn new things. I wouldn’t be the person I am today if I didn’t.

Lucas Correia was a Collegian staff writer from 2007 to 2009, a copy editor Fall 2008 and the News section’s blog editor Spring 2009. He can be reached at [email protected].