Apple picking in the Pioneer Valley

With the fall season upon us, trees changing color, and the weather becoming cool, everybody wants to pick apples.

The Pioneer Valley offers lots of opportunities to pick apples. With their beautiful rows of apple trees, and an apple barn that houses the various apple treats for the visitors, Hamilton Orchards in New Salem is the best spot to pick your perfect apple. Barbara Hamilton, or “Barb,” is the owner of Hamilton Orchards and says that they grow all kinds of apples. “We grow McIntosh, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith and so many more,” said Hamilton. “We use different apples for different things, we use McIntosh for the sauce and cider.”

If you’re wondering what time is best to go apple picking, Hamilton says, “right now.” So if you want to claim the best apples, eat warm apple cider donuts, or drink comforting apple cider, get down to Hamilton Orchards. Follow Route 202 east,  until you see the roadside Hamilton Orchard signs previewing whats to come when you reach your destination.

On the Web

News-2-Know is a blog created by B.J. Roche’s Journalism 301 class. Every weekday, an author will write about a topic that is newsworthy and provide links on additional resources. To read the rest of the entries, click here.