Minutemen tie Fairfield in scoreless draw

Jeff Berstein/Collegian

The Massachusetts men’s soccer team will have to wait until Friday for a shot at winning its first game of the season.

The Minutemen tied Fairfield in a scoreless game to move their record to 0-1-2, while the Stags are now 1-1-2. The match was even in many statistical categories with neither team able to muster much offense. Fairfield registered nine shots, with two on goal, while UMass took eight shots – four of which were on goal.

The first half was uneventful for the Minutemen, as they failed to register a single shot. The first opportunity for the Minutemen came in the 56th minute, when senior midfielder Ben Arikian registered a shot wide of the goal. Arikian’s shot started an offensive flurry for the Maroon and White, which could not convert on junior defender Chris Gilbert’s shot off the crossbar. Seconds later, Arikian took a shot on goal that was denied by Stag goalkeeper Michael O’Keefe.

UMass’ only other chances to score came in the first overtime period, when junior forwards Chris Roswess and Bryant Craft were unsuccessful in their opportunities. The game marked the first in which Craft hadn’t scored a goal – he had two in the Minutemen’s first two games.

Goalkeeper Chris Piekos turned away both shots on his way to recording his fifth career shutout and UMass’ first on the season.

UMass hopes to record its first win on Friday when it hosts the University of Central Florida at Rudd Field. The Minutemen lost a 3-2 decision at the hands of Harvard University in their first game at Rudd Field on Sept. 6. UCF should give the Minutemen a challenge, as the Knights are 2-0 on the season and have outscored their opponents, 9-0, in their first two games.

Steve Levine can be reached at [email protected].