Napoli lands in Ann Arbor

Matt Harrison/Collegian

As the Massachusetts women’s soccer team prepares for its big matchup against Michigan this weekend, one cannot help but notice the overwhelming similarities between the two clubs: both are in rebuilding seasons, both have a large number of young talent, and both are seeing more offensively-oriented strategies unfold on the field.

The most prevalent commonality, however, may be the histories both teams have with Wolverine assistant coach Angela Napoli.

Napoli went to Michigan (3-1-2) after the 2009 season to help Michigan coach Greg Ryan build his team into one strong enough to go far into postseason play. Since her arrival, the team transitioned from an older, more defensive team to a younger, faster, more offensively potent lineup, starting with the new recruits.

“We have had a great number of new players come in for the season,” Napoli said. “Nine new players came to the organization, of which four of them have made it up to the starting roster.”

Two of those players, freshmen attackers Nkem Ezurike and Tori McCombs, have led a reenergized Wolverine offense with a combined five goals and 31 shots in six games. Senior attacker Amanda Bowery has also proved critical with a goal, two assists and 14 shots. The three combined have 14 points and have started every game of the season.

These three players have been critical in the development of Michigan’s new offensive strategy.

“In the last few seasons, we have had a slower, more defensive game plan,” Napoli said. “We are still going with the 4-5-1 style, but we are making sure that the midfielders are much more offensively minded. It’s definitely led to more goals and a more exciting game to watch.”

Another important piece to Michigan’s success is its prominent veteran defensive staff. The experience and maturity that the senior defenders have make it possible for the team to “deal with high pressure situations” in their own end.

The backbone of the team’s defensive line stands strong in front of the net with junior goalkeeper Kristen Keane.

Keane, who is starting consistently for the first time in her career, is really growing into her starting role. She currently has six goals allowed and two shutouts.

“She can come up with great saves, especially in close games where we really need them,” Napoli said.

With all of these factors working together for the Wolverines, Napoli can’t help but feel that this team is going to make a splash as the season progresses.

“There’s a lot of chemistry on this team,” Napoli said. “They’re in a great position to attack and defend throughout the game. And with the great combination of fresh and veteran talent, our team has blended really well.”

Napoli had worked at four different schools as an assistant coach before beginning the season with Michigan. But her first chance at moving up came last season with the Minutewomen.

She served as an assistant coach under longtime women’s soccer coach Jim Rudy for four years before she took over preceding the start of the 2009 season. As head coach, Napoli led the team to a 6-11-2 record.

At the end of the season, Napoli wasn’t approached to return by the coaching administration.

“I met with the administration briefly over the winter,” Napoli said. “I really did not know what their intentions were until then, where they decided that they wanted to take a new direction with the team.”

Of her experiences, Napoli knew that she would be able to take both the good and the bad with her to Michigan in her efforts to help bring the team to first-rate standards.

“Every team in the country wants to play a strong, offensively-minded game, and I’m going to do everything I can to help lead the team in that direction,” Napoli said.

The Minutewomen will take on the Wolverines in the newly built U-M Soccer Stadium at 5 p.m. on Friday.

Dave Martin can be reached at [email protected].