New women’s soccer coach Ed Matz brings experience, new staff to UMass

Matthew Harrison/Collegian

As the year advances closer and closer to the start of the 2010 season, change is heavy in the air for the Massachusetts women’s soccer team.

UMass saw a change at the top of the chain in hiring head coach Ed Matz from Northeastern. Matz, who is coming off two of the best seasons in Huskies’ history, earned the 2009 Colonial Athletic Association Coach of the Year. He helped lead NU to its first ever CAA regular season title with a stunning 12-4-3 record.

Also arriving with Matz are assistant coaches Brendan Faherty of New Haven and Abby Shiffler of Pennsylvania. All three coaches bring impressive resumes highlighted by achievements and success, which they hope to carry over to Amherst.

“This year is definitely going to be a learning year for us,” Matz said. “It’s a new season and there are going to be new roles and new approaches to the game.”

Matz’s biggest change of pace for the Minutewomen is in the formations on the field.

Last year, the team played a 4-5-1 line, a heavily defensive brand of soccer which through increasing the level of protection in the home zone, leaves more to be desired on offense.

During its last campaign, UMass allowed 33 goals compared to the 15 it scored, a major influence in the team’s change of pace. Matz is changing that to a 4-3-3, which should bring more offensive pressure and incite a more “exciting brand of soccer.”

Another change which is boosting the team is a large influx of young talent.

A total of 10 new players arrive, all of whom are freshman and are looking to increase the dynamic and versatility of the team. Aside from fresh talent and great potential, Matz is most excited for the newest edge his squad now has.

“It’s going to be more competitive on this team,” Matz said. “Each player is going to be working as hard as possible, both individually and as a team, to prove that they deserve that starting spot on the roster. Everybody is pushed to be better.”

A big key to that competitive edge, Matz says, is the leadership skills and work ethic set by the team’s five seniors.

“I could not be more pleased with our seniors,” he said. “They worked very hard in the offseason, got into great shape and came into practice with a great desire to win. They have excelled at all the fitness tests and set the tone for how the season is going to go. They play great roles on this team.”

With a great mix of veteran know-how and young talent, Matz is expecting the Minutewomen to be among the top six teams in the Atlantic 10.

Last season, UMass finished with a 6-11-2 record, including an even 5-5-0 record at home and a disappointing 1-6-2 record on the road. To establish themselves as a dominant force in the conference, the Minutewomen will need to have a very strong record at home and at least an above-.500 record on the road.

“The biggest challenge on the road lies in the team’s preparation and mindset going into the game,” Matz said. “We are going to change how we prepare for road games and how we work towards the physical stress that accompanies traveling to the opposing field. We have to be able to adjust to not playing with the advantage of home field.”

With all the tools and abilities at UMass’ disposal, Matz feels that the greatest assets are the teamwork and defense. With those, he feels that the girls can grow into a team capable of playing strongly through the season and into the playoffs.

David Martin can be reached at [email protected].