UMass number four in country for Gilman scholarship

University of Massachusetts undergraduate students received the fourth-largest number of Gilman Scholarships for study abroad of campuses nationally.

This semester, 16 UMass students were awarded the scholarships for fall 2010. Last spring, 14 undergraduates at the University received Gilmans.

More than 2,900 applicants from 381 public and private universities across the nation applied for the scholarships, with around 1,000 receiving the study abroad funds. The national acceptance rate stood at 34 percent, while 42 percent of UMass students received the awards, according to a Tuesday News and Media Relations release.

“This is truly exciting news,” Frank Hugus, vice provost and director of UMass’ international programs office said in the release. “The campus community can be very proud of these 16 excellent students for their success in winning Gilman Scholarships. We know that they will benefit tremendously from their studies overseas,” he continued.

The destinations UMass’ scholarship-winning students will travel include: Thailand, Brazil, the Dominican Republic, Uganda, Morocco, the United Kingdom, Denmark, Japan, Ireland, South Africa, China, Turkey and Italy.

The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarships assist students who wish to study abroad with large financial need and fund students who wish to travel to non-traditional areas. Funding ranges from $3,500 to $5,000 per semester, according to the release. According to the Gilman Scholarship website, the average package is approximately $4,000.

Applicants are evaluated based on financial need, desire to travel to a non-Western region and caliber of the essays they submit with their applications.

When students return to their home campus, they are required to participate in a service project to foster enthusiasm for study abroad.

The scholarship is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, and has been in existence since 2001. The program is overseen by the Institute of International Education.

In addition to the Gilman Scholarships, selected students may also apply for a Critical Need Language Supplement with funding of $3,000. Last year, 50 applicants received the supplements.

Collegian News Staff