UMass clocks in at 56 in Times of London Top 200

If you attend or are affiliated with any of the campuses of the University of Massachusetts system, you are a part of the No. 56-ranked university in the world, according to the Times of London.

UMass is the only public university in New England to make the list, and joins such selective company in a highly competitive academic region as Harvard, Yale, MIT, Tufts and Brown.

The University ranked No. 14 out of all American public universities, and checked in at No. 33 of all universities in the U.S.

In a statement last week, Chancellor Robert Holub said the recognition reflects a worldwide understanding of the volume and quality of UMass’ research, as well as of its other academic offerings.

“The Times of London ranking reflects an international appreciation for the outstanding research and teaching that occur every day at UMass, and as the University’s flagship campus in Amherst, we’re proud to play a vital role in earning such recognition for the Commonwealth,” Holub said.

Massachusetts Secretary of Education Paul Reville also marked the accolade with a laudatory statement.

“This is well-deserved recognition for the students, faculty, alumni and leadership at UMass,” he said. “The access to high quality academic instruction from world class faculty has long prepared UMass students for success.”

The World University Rankings were based on scores in five categories: teaching and a school’s learning environment, the volume, income and reputation of a school’s research, the number and influence of citations from a school’s research, the international demography of a school’s faculty and student body and innovation in bringing income into the school.

The top five universities on the list were all in the United States. They included Harvard, Cal Tech, MIT, Stanford and Princeton. The next two schools, Cambridge and Oxford, represented the United Kingdom, followed by UC Berkeley, Imperial College London, and Yale.

-Collegian News Staff