X-C Minutemen finish first

The Massachusetts cross-country teams had mixed results this weekend, as they hosted their only home meets of the season. The men’s team captured first place in its meet, holding off Connecticut for a close four-point victory. The women’s team did not have as much success this weekend in Amherst, as it finished fourth out of five schools.

This was the fifth-straight year that the Minutemen have won their only home meet of the year. Last season, UMass placed four runners in the top seven. While they were not quite as successful this year, the team still got the job done.

Seniors Andrew Mulvaney and Daniel Barry led the way to victory for the Minutemen. Mulvaney crossed the line in 25 minutes, 48 seconds, good for a fourth overall finish and the top spot for UMass. Barry led Mulvaney for most of the race, but was passed near the end, finishing in 25:51. Last year, neither Mulvaney nor Barry placed in the home invitational.

Several other competitors also scored points for the Minutemen. Senior Scott VanderMolen was the third Minuteman to cross the finish line, placing in the top 10 with an eighth place finish in 26:04. Other notable runners for the Minutemen include senior Sonny Gamble, who added a 13th place finish in 26:18 and senior Robert Deegan, who finished 17th overall in 26:37.

UConn finished second at the meet, earning 51 points. They were followed by Maine, Vermont and Amherst. Amherst senior Will Yochum was the first place finisher in the race, with Jason Kaake of Maine and John Little of Vermont also finishing in the top three. Mulvaney and Barry rounded out the top five.

The women’s team held its own meet this weekend in Amherst, with not quite as much success. Sophomore Courtney Baldwin was the top finisher for the Minutewomen, as she finished fifth overall. Senior Gina Perno was the second UMass competitor to cross the finish line, coming in 12th overall, while junior Karen Roa finished third for the Minutewomen and 18th overall. Other runners scoring points for UMass include senior Elizabeth Fisk (19th place) and freshman Sarah Barrett (28th place).

Baldwin has first place finishes for the Minutewomen in each of the five times she has raced for the team, including this past competition. She was the Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year last year, was named A-10 Performer of the Week once and was named A-10 Rookie of the Week three times. She also earned All-Conference honors at the A-10 Championships last season.

Overall, the women’s meet was won by Maine, with Boston College, Vermont, UMass and Amherst rounding out the other competing schools. The first place finisher in the race was Maine junior Corey Conner. Jordan Daniel of Maine finished second, with Morgan Powers of Vermont coming in third.

UMass’ next race is Oct. 1 at the Paul Short Invitational, hosted by Lehigh in Bethlehem, PA.

Ben Lambert can be reached at [email protected]