Tim Murray discusses upcoming election

Courtesy Wikimedia Commons

With the November 2 elections fast approaching, Lieutenant Governor Tim Murray will be turning up the heat on his campaign schedule, as he visits towns across the Commonwealth.

The incumbent Lt. Gov. spoke with the Massachusetts Daily Collegian late Thursday afternoon to talk about his work on Beacon Hill, and his future plans if reelected.

“My top priorities would be jobs, healthcare, and education,” said Murray. “We will continue to focus on these issues if reelected.”

According to Murray, he and Governor Deval Patrick have overseen one of the most accessible healthcare systems in the country. 80 percent of Mass. citizens are covered by the healthcare law passed under the Romney administration.

“We’re going to work on making healthcare more affordable,” said Murray. The Lt. Gov. seeks to bring all the “stake holders” to the bargaining table to negotiate reasonable rates. This will be made to include doctors, insurance companies, and government officials.

“[The people of the Commonwealth] cannot afford a double digit increase in their insurance payments every year,” said Murray.

Murray started his political career in a two-year stint as a city counsel member in Worcester, where he spent his childhood attending public schools. He followed up that performance with a three-year term as mayor of Worcester, and subsequently tabbed as Governor Patrick’s running mate in 2006.

“You can only change things by getting involved,” said Murray, explaining his reason for running for public office.

Considering the recession during his term, Murray believes that the Commonwealth has faired well under his watch. He noted that Massachusetts has had the highest job growth rate in the country, and said that if he is reelected he expects this trend to continue.

Murray stated that over the past four years the state has invested in green energy, infrastructure, and the biotech industry.

According to Murray, the investments have paid dividends. The Patrick administration has supported five pieces of legislation incentivizing the growth of these industries, which Murray cites as the reason for a doubling of the number of jobs in these fields.

Murray also stated that the Patrick administration has “fought hard to increase funding in K-12 education.”

In the realm of higher education, Murray and Patrick have supported the Bond Bill, which has helped fund construction projects in both public and community colleges across the Commonwealth. The $1.2 billion allotted by the bill was distributed in varying degrees to the construction projects of dorms and science facilities at 29 different public higher education facilities.

“[The bill] has funded $90 million of the $420 million Life Sciences Building at UMass Medical School,” said Murray. He also noted that the Bond Bill helped fund a $100 million science building at Bridgewater State College.

According to Murray’s opposing candidate for Lieutenant Governor, Richard Tisei, Gov. Patrick and Lt. Gov. Murray have overseen $140 million in cuts to education over the last two years. Murray claims that across the entire budget, education has been cut less than many other areas of the budget.

In a recent Collegian interview Green-Rainbow party candidate for Lt. Gov. Rick Purcell called Murray and Tisei “corporate candidates.” Murray responded by stating that in Massachusetts it is illegal for politicians running for office to receive any money from corporations.

In his closing remarks over the phone Murray claimed that he and Governor Patrick managed to bring the Commonwealth of Massachusetts through the recession in tact.

“There are still too many people out of work,” said Murray, who claims that despite the hurting economy Massachusetts has faired significantly better than other states in the Union.

The Lt. Gov. does not support any of the referenda up on the ballot this election season. In his view, if the sales tax on alcohol is repealed it would come at a cost of a cut in services, including education and police. 

Bobby Hitt can be reached at [email protected].