Cuero, Nagel and O’Connor earn weekly honors

Charlotte’s Andres Cuero was chosen as the Atlantic 10 Men’s Soccer Player of the Week, while Fordham’s Julian Nagel and St. Bonaventure’s Emmett O’Connor received the A-10 Rookie of the Week honors.
Cuero scored a pair of game-winning goals to help ignite the 49ers (9-4, 4-0 A-10) to a 4-0 start in conference play.

The free-kick score against George Washington and overtime strike at Richmond has Charlotte riding a six-game winning streak, while Cuero’s two goals give him a total of four for the season, which leads the team.

Nagel’s pair of assists sparked Fordham’s undefeated week in league competition, as the freshman recorded the game-winning assist in a 1-0 triumph over Duquesne on Friday, before assisting the game-tying goal for the Rams (7-5, 0-2-1 A-10) in a 2-1 come-from-behind overtime thriller against St. Bonaventure on Sunday.

O’Connor tallied four points in St. Bonaventure’s 3-0 beat down of La Salle.

The midfielder capitalized on a La Salle miscue, ultimately leading to his breakaway goal in the 13th minute of play. O’Connor added two assists in the SBU (7-6, 2-2-0 A-10) victory, giving him nine points for the season, good for second on the team.

A-10 play continues this week as teams continue to fight for the six spots in the conference championship.

Duquesne, Saint Louis Grab 1-0 Decisions

Duquesne claims its first A-10 victory of the season, blanking La Salle, 2-0 on Sunday.

Tyler Tompkins kicked off the scoring in the 21st minute with his third goal of the year, with freshman Simon Gomez credited with the assist.

Stefan Lundberg sealed the Dukes’ win on a breakaway goal in the 57th minute, with Gomez tallying his second assist of the contest.

Lundberg’s four goals in 2010 places him second on the team, while Gomez’ four assists is tops on the team.
Chris Torres earned his third shutout of the year, making five saves in the match.

Duquesne (5-6-2, 1-3-0 A-10) continues conference play with a showdown against Dayton on Wednesday, while La Salle (3-6-2, 1-2-0 A-10) travels to Richmond on Friday.

Saint Louis’ Devon Newport scored his first career goal as the Billikens edged past GW, 1-0. Newport scored in the 17th minute of the game off Alex Sweetin’s team-leading third assist of the season, while Mark Pais earned the shutout on only his second start of the season.

SLU (4-5-2, 2-2-0 A-10) face a tough test on Friday night, as they travel to nationally ranked Charlotte, while GW (2-10, 0-3-0 A-10) hosts Fordham.

Xavier Wins Double Overtime Thriller Over Temple

Brandon Bucher found the back of the net in the 103rd minute to propel the Musketeers past Temple, 2-1 in double overtime.

The golden goal was set up on passes by Matt Walker and Luke Spencer, who found Bucher in the middle of the box for the game-winner.

Xavier (6-3-3, 3-1-0 A-10) took a 1-0 lead on Justin Jarvis’ first goal of the season in the 72nd minute of play.

The Owls (4-6-2, 2-1-0 A-10) tied the contest with three minutes left to play on Cody Calafiore’s penalty kick.

XU earned their third conference win of the season, placing them second in the A-10 standings behind Charlotte.

Xavier hosts St. Bonaventure on Friday night, while Temple hosts Massachusetts.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at [email protected].