Fearless, fighting Tim Cahill

Courtesy Gary Higgins / The Patriot Ledger
As November draws nearer, I find myself getting more and more excited for the upcoming gubernatorial election. As students we sometimes live in the college bubble, oblivious to the world that surrounds us, but this election is worth waking up for.

As a current senior and soon-to-be Massachusetts taxpayer, I know my luck is running out and college will soon draw to a close, so I’ve studied up and done my homework in an effort to educate myself so next year I can be a happy citizen of the commonwealth.

The 2010 gubernatorial election is important considering our state’s current financial situation. And although most tend to favor the party with which they affiliate I urge a more open-minded approach. Traditionally, independent candidates are over-looked – but not this year, because our independent candidate, Tim Cahill, who currently doubles as our State Treasurer, has Massachusetts running in his blood.

Cahill has served our state since 2002, and has proven himself to be fighter for the people. He has had a strong hand in governing our state and therefore understands our financial needs better than any candidate in the race. He runs one of the most successful lotteries in the country. If you attended a high school that has recently been renovated or rebuilt, Cahill has also been behind that. And if you’re really upset about the increase in taxes, rest assured, he’s not behind that. He has established himself as an individual by freeing himself of the restraints set by associating with a particular political party and instead leads this state by drawing on his morals and values. He is the only candidate that will fight for us, soon-to-be-graduates looking for a job. He is fearless, and this November you should be too – so lead, don’t follow – it’s time to vote Tim Cahill for Governor.

Shanaz Kerr is a University of Massachusetts student. She can be reached at [email protected].