Online classroom offers students control of their work

Courtesy Jefferson Community and Technical College
Recently, a faculty member at Kentucky’s Jefferson Community and Technical College, adjunct professor Ford T. Smith, manufactured a program that allows students to begin and end a course whenever they wish to do so. Students are permitted to study at their own pace.

The program, known as Learn Anytime, doesn’t turn a single student away for the common reasons of missing a deadline or the class lacking availability. Since the program has been launched, the number of courses available has gone up due to increasing popularity. The current sensation often serves as a gateway for opportunity in a society where careers now require familiarization with the internet and fast-paced living. However, individuals may question when or where limits are drawn.

Smith’s salary is one that may be envied by other professors, reaching about $120,000 a year. However, he isn’t paid in salary, but by each student who enrolls in the online classroom.

Considering its small origin the system has yet to be determined as controversial or beneficial across the nation. While the typical college students may have varying degrees of stress and work, Smith’s system is acclaimed for providing less pressure on students, enforcing them to feel more motivated to build a better performance, and produces ease for the average student’s schedule.

Negative feedback for the program has included how the program may not prepare students for the real world, and that there is no adjustment made to habits or lifestyle. It was also noted that the students who take the course don’t have interactions with other peers, losing social values.

Several University of Massachusetts students don’t like the idea.

“I like timed work because it helps us get our stuff done. Deadlines help avoid procrastinating,” said freshman Jaritza Alecon.

“I disagree with the program, because in this manner, students will put off their work,” she added.

Freshman Sara Konda also likes having discipline among her work.

“I disagree with the program because then there would be procrastination and work wouldn’t be done,” she added.

Freshman Clarrisa Afum said, “Timed assignments make me feel good, because they give the students something to do. Deadlines serve as means of moving forward in the course materials.”

“I disagree with the program because there is no consistency of attendance in class and the teachers seem to be receiving more money for this,” she added.

Sophomore Mazen Hamza said that the negative aspects of having online classes really show through the program.

“I don’t agree with online classes, to me a class should be taught so there’s eye contact between student and teacher,”she said.

“The teacher will clear any misunderstandings and such in the classroom,” she added.

Despite complaints about the old-fashioned system, it seems favored over the new, high-tech program which has been said to be “total remedial.”, and have “no learning” involved, said Vicki Smith, a participant in Learn Anytime.

“I agree with the online course program. Everyone learns differently and some are capable learning independently,” said sophomore Amanda Nguyen.

With the option of being able to complete their work whenever, students have access to control their college lives how they want, yet the downsides of programs like this continue to show.

Ford Smith may have assisted students to the point where they transcend even stepping into a classroom altogether, and technology is helping programs like his shine through even more. Online classrooms may soon become even more prominent in future years, and programs like Learn Anytime will get them there.

Stephanie Anjos can be reached at [email protected].