Rough start for UMass swim

The march towards another championship started with a misstep on Oct. 16, as the Massachusetts swimming and diving teams both fell to Boston University. The men’s team lost a close one that was decided in the final race of the afternoon, 154-146, while the women’s team lost, 177-115.

Despite these results, both teams had several bright spots to keep them moving forward towards their home opener next week.

Freshman Derek Hursch was one of those bright spots for the Minutemen. He won three events in his first-ever collegiate meet. Hursch won the 200-yard freestyle in 1 minute, 44.89 seconds, the 100-yard freestyle in 47.36 and the 200-yard IM in 1:54.96.

Several other able competitors stepped up for the Minutemen during the meet. Junior Jason Cook continued his run of strong performances, as he captured the three-meter and one-meter dives with scores of 326.03 and 298.80 respectively. Senior co-captain Adam Duffield took second in the one-meter and third in the three-meter dive, as well.

On the swimming side of the aisle, junior Joey Sbordon won the 1000-yard race in 9:51.30, as well as the 500-yard freestyle in 4:46.91.

After the teams battled evenly throughout the meet, the Terriers snatched the win with a four-second victory in the 400-yard relay, just edging out UMass. Sbordon, senior Chris Howard, freshman Troy Nichols and sophomore Eric Zeimetz could not quite capture the victory, despite a valiant effort.

Despite a less than ideal result, the women’s team also met with some success against BU. Senior Jessica Starosielec earned the victory in the 200-yard breaststroke in 2:27.99, and placed second in the 100-yard breaststroke, 200-yard IM and the 200 medley relay, teaming with senior Gillian Bank, junior Sarah Kanellas and sophomore Amina Meho to come up with that result. Kanellas also won the 100-yard butterfly in 59:07.

The Minutewomen also swept the medals in the 200-yard IM, as sophomore Ingrid Woelfel, freshman Kaitlyn McKenna and Starosielec finished first, second and third respectively. Senior Meghan Nowak finished just out of the medals as well, clocking in at fourth for the team. Freshman Anna Cavanaugh, senior Kaitie English, senior Tavis Potter and Meho also teamed up to snatch the 400-yard freestyle relay win.

For the diving team, sophomore Molly Elkins finished fourth, and junior Hannah Swift finished fifth in both the one-meter and three-meter dives.

Both teams return to action next week. The home opener against Army will take place at 2:00 P.M. on Oct. 23 in Joseph Rogers Pool.

Ben Lambert can be reached at [email protected]