Students chomping their way to success?

Cinnamon, mint, grape and an assortment of other fruity and tasty flavors can all be packed into a little piece of gum. These flavors are just waiting to burst into our mouths and free us from boredom, hunger or bad breath. Not only is chewing gum great exercise for our mouths, it also connects us to others when we share or swap a piece. However, when it comes to chewing gum, do we really know what we are getting ourselves into? Exactly what is gum made of and can chewing negatively impact our health?

If you look at the back of a gum package, a dizzying array of words like Xylitol, Taurine and Riboflavin make up most of the ingredient list. Many of these are chemicals like amino acids, but I’m more focused on the basics. First off, there is a “gum base” composed of either “chicle” –  the natural sap that was used in making gum by ancient peoples in Central America – or a synthetic rubber developed during World War II. And of course, they contain sweeteners and artificial flavoring to make the taste desirable. Another important part of gum is softeners, without which, gum becomes hard and un-chewable.

I chew gum a lot. It helps pass time when I’m doing homework, exercising or just need something to do. It is also a quick way to get fresh breath. However we weren’t meant to constantly keep chewing something.  When we chew, our brains think we are eating, so they secrete the enzyme amylase into the mouth and other digestive enzymes like protease in the stomach. However, there is no food, so the body can become bloated. Personally, I can’t recall ever being bloated, after chewing gum but it’s something to look out for. Imagine if you became so bloated you couldn’t fit into your pants! Wouldn’t that be wild?

Our stomachs can also start producing too much hydrochloric acid as a result of the hormone imbalances caused by chewing too much gum. Acid reflux disease and bruxism – clenching or grinding one’s teeth together – can become an issue if this occurs. You know what they say about gum jaw.

Another potential health risk of constant chewing is a strain on your vertebrae because of a forward head posture. Chewing on only one side can also cause asymmetry on our faces! Now I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to be walking around with my face lopsided. I also don’t need to strain my back; my fifty-pound backpack already does the job quite nicely. However, on the other end of the spectrum, gum has been known to have potential benefits.

The Wrigley Science Institute found that students who chewed gum had an increase of 3 percent on their standardized math test scores and performed better overall on their final exams. Those numbers sound pretty good to me, and in a cutthroat world of schools and jobs, where having an edge is crucial, chewing gum seems like a good investment. Other experiments, including a study conducted at Louisiana State University, found that students who chewed gum three times every hour after lunch ate less high calorie treats. The students also felt less hungry and craved fewer sweet things.

The Wrigley Institute also claims chewing gum can reduce stress, promote weight loss and help individuals be more alert and focused. Even better, having a sugar-free piece of gum after every meal can cut back on cavities, because it stimulates saliva, our best defense against tooth decay and plaque.

Many people now claim gum helps them stay focused in the workplace, gym and classroom. More and more studies are finding positive results when students chew gum when studying or in class. They are more likely to be quiet, pay attention and be able to concentrate. As college students, it seems like a worthy pastime. Chewing gum seems to be connected with getting good grades and staying focused. For me, improving my grades and concentration by just chewing gum is a worthwhile effort.

So exactly where does this leave us? On one hand, chewing gum can have some ill effects: digestive issues, spinal strain and dental problems to name a few. However, according to other research, gum can be beneficial in many different ways. It helps students focus and get better grades, fights tooth decay, promotes weight loss and can reduce stress.

Where do I stand?

Well, I can’t disprove or validate either of these claims without doing my own experiments. However, if I have a big test, maybe I will pop in a piece of gum. I don’t want my face to be lopsided, though, so instead of chewing gum all the time, it might be better to pop in a mint instead. 

Leah Mandly is a Collegian columnist. She can be reached at [email protected].