Aisha Rodney to join women’s basketball team

The Massachusetts women’s basketball team has been busy recruiting lately, and just added another girl to its 2015 roster.

Aisha Rodney signed her National Letter of Intent this week and announced her decision to play at UMass under head coach Sharon Dawley on Monday. She lives in Grosse Pointe Farm, Mich., and will be a senior at Grosse Pointe South High School this season.

The six-foot power forward is a three-time all-state and all-conference selection. In three years, she has averaged over 17 points-per-game and has been the team’s top rebound machine with 12 rebounds per game. These numbers helped lead her team to its third-consecutive conference championship and earned her the Most Valuable Player award for two straight seasons.

“She’s just a natural offensive rebounder,” Dawley said. “She outworks everyone on the floor, and that’s definitely something we can use next year.”

Rodney also holds the school’s scoring record and was named rookie of the year in her freshman season. She was a McDonald’s All-American Nominee, and currently ranks 52nd in the country at her position.

“She’ll play a lot, and she’ll play early,” Dawley said. “A lot of it is rebounding, but also because of her intensity and her skill down low [in the post].”

Rodney is the fourth recruit to be announced by UMass recently. She joins Emily Mital, Ronnie Grandison and Rashida Timbilla, as Dawley builds up her future rosters in her first season on campus as head coach.

Michael Wood can be reached at [email protected].